Should I stick to learning one language or learn one, then another?

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by jo74, Apr 28, 2009.

1. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

I'm currently learning Java but I've also got some books on C#, VB.NET and ASP.NET. Should I just concentrate on Java?

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  2. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

I think I got the title of this thread a bit wrong :oops:
    What I meant to ask was should I learn more than one language at the same time or at least include a second language whilst studying the first.

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well, if you're anything like me you'll do one at a time.
    But then, you may not be anything like me.

I'd certainly try to get more than one under my belt eventually but doing more than one at a time is bound to complicate matters.

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I'd stick with one until you have it a pretty thorough understanding of it. Then, once you understand the core of Java, moving to .NET will be easier than trying to learn the syntax and nuances of Java and .NET at the same time. That's how I approached it when I got started with programming.

5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

If this is your first programming language that you're learning, I would say stick with that until your reasonably good with that. Then go on and do more.

I first started at college with VB 2 & 3, before moving on to VB 5. When I went to Uni it was alot easier to pick up languages like C++, Eiffel, Prolog, JAVA & VB .net (when that first came out).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security