Should I send a cover letter with my resume?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Professor-Falken, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

Should I be sending a cover letter with my resume? Will it look bad I don’t? I have already sent quite a few without a cover letter what do you think?

Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I always send a cover letter with my resume. It shows that I took the time to craft a personalized letter to the recipient that shows how I can help their company in the specific role they are hiring for.

It will if they asked for one in their job posting.

Case in point: At my last employer, I went through stacks of resumes looking for a suitable replacement for me. The IT manager wanted three things from qualified applicants: a resume, a cover letter, and salary requirements.

All of them sent a resume.
    Several weren't qualified.
    Several didn't send a cover letter.
    Only ONE person out of 150 sent salary requirements. To top it off, he also sent a cover letter, a resume, AND he was qualified.

Guess who got the job? Not just because he did what we asked of him... but the attention to detail and willingness to do what was asked of him shone through in his interview as much as his experience did.

Live and learn... I wouldn't send another resume WITH a cover letter at this point.

In the search for my replacement, I got several resumes 2 and *3* times... that just makes you look either 1) desperate, or 2) like you can't remember which companies you've already sent a resume to.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Always send a cover letter to clarify the position or attended position you are applying for and why you feel the job is right for you.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

@BosonMichael.....I agree with all that.

Makes your apllication a little more personal and as if you cared about the apllication.

Any thing that does that in the in personal world of web & email apllications has got to be good!

I also read on a website that employers were complaining that web & e applications didn't have any or good enough covering letters.

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  5. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the good advice. Do you have some good entry level IT cover letters that I can look at maybe some for entry level helpdesk or PC Technician?

Is it harder to get entry level PC technican job than it is easier to get entry level helpdesk job it seems that way. Thanks again for the good advice.

Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Remember you can apply for jobs online as well. e.g http://www.cwjobs.co.uk/

If you are sending your CV always have a cover letter. The HR peep might think you are applying for completely different position and not the IT one. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs