Should I restore or format my pc

Discussion in 'Software' started by greenbrucelee, Jul 6, 2007.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

After finding that my memory is ok and still waiting to test my PSU, whilst running a system scan (tune up utillites) I noticed 2 files were missing which could not be restored. They didnt seem to be related to my graphics card, but because I dont know when these files went missing should I try by restoring the system back to a previous point or should I format and reinstall.

I have all the origional drivers and OS software.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

First see what these files are. If part of Windows then they will be in the cab files on your OS disk.

Hrary.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

if you format and restore your computer back to defaults settings, it wll be faster and at least you can reinstall the lastest drivers program you want. plus you may find whether the pressure on your psu may be decreased depending on the amount of "crap" you already have on your system

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

what is wrong with your PC, still the BSOD problem? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. greenbrucelee

No BSODS latley but system lockups or rebots, I am having the trouble I have had with oblivion with Rainbow 6 vegas and I have just downloaded the demo for GRAW2 and it keeps cutting out as does rainbow 6.

Memtest86 provided no clue to the problem, apprently all devices are working ok but I noticed those files out of the corner of my eye whilst I was watching the tennis, they wernt CAB files I am just think should I go back to a certain point.

I am uncertain wether this problem existed from when I got my first game Oblivion or wether it developed since getting my first game, so I thought maybe I should roll back

6. Sparky

When your PC reboots do you get a error message saying "Windows have recovered from a serious error" or something like that...

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  7. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

greenbrucelee,

Does your computer and operating system meet or exceed the system requirements for ALL of the applications installed on your computer? Yes, applications includes games. :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  8. greenbrucelee

Yes it does

9. greenbrucelee

Apperntly on Oblivion I do with the latest patch, also with Rainbow 6 vegas with the latest patch

And with the GRAW2 demo it said I met and passed reccomended system requirements

10. Sparky

Might help to get the STOP error then. If you right click on My Computer > properties > advanced.

Then in 'startup and recovery' click on settings and uncheck 'automatically restart'.

Next time the PC bombs out take a note of the error and google it. Might help you find out whats causing the instability.

11. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Might be worth checking event viewer for details on the error 2.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  12. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

You know for some reason I tempted to think that it might be an OS issue from what you saying. I dont know if the power supply would be the fault here.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  13. greenbrucelee

If you see my thread about my memtest86 update I have put down just a few of the errors on there. I tried goign through MS to see if the error was on their sit but to no avail.

A few days before I got Oblivion installed I did get a virus maybe some files have been damaged

14. greenbrucelee

The IT dept at work have let me barrow and ATI card so I can try that just to to see if my graphics card is the issue, although there are no drivers with it windows should detect it and I can down load them from ATI web site.

If it turns out that it is the GPU then I know what the problem is, if I still get the problems then I will format and re-install everything.

15. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

system files missing? try 'sfc /scannow' or sth like that.

but to b honest if any system causing me that kind of probs would be reinstalled long time ago :)

Certifications: ECDL, A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  16. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Yep, such problems made me do a format and reinstall as well after testing all hardware was okay.

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.