Should I move teams?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by NightWalker, May 8, 2008.

1. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I need a bit of advice, not sure what to do. I have been working for my current employer for just over a year. I am in the second line support team. My job is second line support of the servers and client PCs. I am an Exchange admin and also get involved in project work to test and roll out new applications alongside my daily duties, which are quite varied. I really enjoy the work, and am doing very well. The other guys on the team are really good; I have got to know them quite well over the last year. Before this job I worked first line support in a tech call centre, this is my first proper IT job. I have learnt so much and gained a lot of experience, and am happy to continue as I am, but....

A position has come up in the security admin team. These guys look after user accounts, AD group policy, NTFS permissions, some mainframe stuff (yep, we have a mainframe, and it’s just a big black box of mystery...) and all things security related (except the ISA severs and firewalls, that’s the networks team). The job is initially for 6 months, but may be longer. Now I think this would be good experience and give me visibility and hands on experience of different aspects of the network.

My long term plan is to pack up and move abroad in a few years and continue working in IT. So I should probably apply and get all the experience I can while the opportunity is there. But I don’t want to leave my current team. Dilemma.

There is no guarantee I would get the job if I apply, even though it’s an internal vacancy I still have to go through an application and interview process. Your thoughts....

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

With it being short term you may be giving yourself a rope to hang yourself with.

Do you have any contact with the other team? and if so maybe ask their advice on wether or not it would be a good move and if the chance of being kept on is a possibility. If your current manager is approachable ask him for some advice on the matter.

Personally if it where me I would stick where I knew I wasn't going to be released after 6 months.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. NightWalker

The other team sit round the corner, so I sort of know them all (and two are fine ladies).
    I am a permanent member of staff, so when the six months is up I would not be out of a job, I would probably go back to my current team. That’s what my line manager said anyway, but that bit worries me. What if they fill my place and I end up working in the post room :blink

Ok, that probably wouldn’t happen. I think I may ask the section manager, he is a good guy. I want the experience of being on the other team but I don’t want it to be a dead end if you know what I mean.

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Don't take anything verbally as from experience I know things like that get forgotten about, if they are willing to take you back to your old department after the 6 months get it in writing and go for it :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Go for it mate, it sounds like a good job and I reckon after the 6 months they will just keep you in the security admin team. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I would normally caution against jumping into a new position if you truly enjoy your co-workers and your employer. But you have an advantage in that you know the team that you'll be working with, and the job is with the same employer. With that knowledge, what do you have to lose?

The only potential risk is that your current supervisor might be sad to see you go... but a *good* supervisor will not hold you back from "bigger and better things" - they will congratulate you, wish you well, and take you back later if need be. :)

Sounds like whichever decision you make, it'll be good for you either way. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

If you have no fear of losing your job I'd say go for it. Security experience is one of the hardest areas to get into, and one of the more valuable skills in the admin end of things. If I were you I'd jump on it, but then that's just me. I'd take the risk to get the skills, but take that with a grain of salt. My wife tells me I'm a risk taker.... :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  8. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

If all things are equal I'd go for the position too.
    It depends on what the environment is like. If it's a cut-throught place, then watch your back and stay where you are. However, if it's a place that is encouraging and good to it's staff, and you have a good relationship with both managers the higher, then you're probably good.

Have a talk with all parties to be sure where you stand. Try to get it all in emails to have a trail for worst case scenarios.

9. NightWalker

It’s a very good environment, they look after their staff.

Thanks for the advice guys. I am going to have a think over the weekend and chat to the section managers next week. I have till Friday the 16th to get my application in.

10. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

It sounds like they'll look after you either way, so 6-months sounds pretty good opportunity to get your feet wet in something new.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.