Should I move on from my current role?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by aushus, Mar 12, 2013.

1. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

Hello Guys,

Let me start by saying I work as a senior infrastructure engineer at a small managed service provider (25 staff)

When I first start I have being so busy and I have being working on some really intersting projects,

however lately there is alot of down time and I have being ended up doing more desktop support work like going to client site to install pc and restore data on it etc.

I was doing alot of FIM and ADFS implementation to integrate customers infrastructure with the cloud, but more and more people do not want adfs for single sign on as they are fine with having two passwords and deploying FIM isn't that hard so the client IT teams decide to do it them selfs than use our service. Due to this I do not have much work and it keeps dieing and dieing,

it is so hard to believe that when I first started not long ago that I was so busy

should I move on? because I am sure if I don't they will make me resign.

2. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

I think you have answered your own question.

If you can see work dying off, and you have an idea that this might lead to redundancy, you could either wait until work picks up from the next fad that comes along that causes some exciting work, wait until you are made redundant and take redundancy pay, or move on now.

Either that, or use the time wisely and get some exams under your belt, potentially for things you don't do at the moment.

3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

If you feel like they're going to make you resign, then I would definitely consider other options... Last thing you want is to be in a place where there absolutely no progression and the possibility of losing a job (you never know).

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

You are already unhappy in the role, your previous posts about dicks at work makes that perfectly clear, if I were you I would just move on.

Unfortunately I would also look at yourself and ask why you are so concerned about what's happening at work with the job title thing and perhaps ask why you really want to move on, I mean even a week ago you were asking if ADFS and FIM were good things to be in and you were advised that they were. Is this perhaps a little bit of sour grapes on your behalf rather than actually the job?

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Coupe2T likes this.
  5. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

Hi simon

I apperciate your input?

And what title issue are you talking about?

I had problems at work so did others like we were over worked but that situation has improved so im happy with where i am

But im not being challenged or learning like before becuase we lost a big clllient and wrk has died out in the adfs side and fim side.so i now go to client sites to fix PC

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Sometimes you need to fix a PC. I was at a customer site today discussing an Exchange server upgrade but I also helped the guys unload the van with the new PCs we have just sold to the same customer – you just need to get on with things to get the job done.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Senior Infrastructure Engineer, Junior Infrastructure Engineer being the DOR whilst the manager is away.

As far as work is concerned, unfortunately it's not all about learning or being challanged, you have the good with the bad. In 15 years of IT you don't honestly expect me to have been challanged or learning new stuff all the time do you? I have spent years working in IT and I can tell you that for the most part it's been boring as hell, there have obviously been things that have really interested me but I can tell you that if you expect to learn and be challanged all the time you're going to be mightily disappointed.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA