should i do a+?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Haunted-Havoc, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Haunted-Havoc

Haunted-Havoc New Member

basically i have already achieved a NVQ level 2 in IT systems support and am doing the level 3 at the moment.

its a work-based qualification and am currently at my local council doing work experience and previously did a 2days a week work experience at a local primary school (its how i achieved the qualification for my level 2)

was speaking to a few guys there over the last couple of days and have been looking into getting more qualifications to add another string to my bow. i did a little research and it seems a+ is a good choice. and it has come recommended from our network manager and the network team (which is who i do my wok experience with)

what i am wondering is, is a+ a good choice, i know experience speaks volumes and am getting my way through that but while i am doing it, should i start on a+ now

i know they are changing it to 701 etc in august and mike meyers 7th edition guide doesnt come out till 15th march (so that probably start it) so between now and then i will get more experience ans wont end up rushing my self to get it done by august

also i plan to do self-study

so should i go for it.

thanks for the help :D

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  2. Haunted-Havoc

Haunted-Havoc New Member

anyone?

3. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

Hi Haunted-Havoc, Welcome to CF! :D

Yes, I think the A+ would be a great place to start! It is a good entry level cert for people who are looking at starting a career in the IT industry. It will give you a solid basis for further study such as the N+ and MCDST.

Self study IMO is a good way of keeping the costs down and means you study on your terms.

Good luck!

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Even though you already have your NVQ 2 and working towards your level 3, I would still strongly recommend doing your A+ and the Network+. They are both valued qualifications and will give you the knowledge that you'll need for higher certs/qualification regardless if they're NVQ (vocational) or Professional or Academic.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Haunted-Havoc

Haunted-Havoc New Member

thanks guys.

im trying to figure a path out for the next few years to further things on

i thought of doing:

A+
    N+
    MCDST

but after than im abit of an end. atm im on the network team at work, and really enjoy it and thats really the field i wanna go into.

i know my NVQ means squat in the big bad world, but it has gotten me in the door to where i am now, and im learning so much. rattles my mind most of the time, but i am still learning so that cant be helped.

im pretty new to alot of network stuff but am a good learner just find it hard to remember all the things i learn. as i have never really done anything quite like these certs (im only 18 lol) im just a bit sceptical of the learning curve.

would you say it is hard?

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The A+,N+ and MCDST are the right way to go and your experience will help you. Getting the books and using your knowledge gained from your experience you should have too much trouble.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Haunted-Havoc

Haunted-Havoc New Member

sweet. well im gonna go for the 2009 A+ but mike meyers book doesnt come out till mid march so im gonna wait till then so im not rushed to do A+ before august