Should I bother with CCENT with no experience?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by HalfPastJohn, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HalfPastJohn

HalfPastJohn Bit Poster

I realize there are multiple threads about this, but everyone seems to be saying that it's worthless without experience, which I understand. My problem is that I need SOMETHING that will get me a job so I can get the experience in the first place. I have a BA in Economics and CompTIA A+ and zero IT experience. I'm applying and trying my best to get a job, which is my #1 priority, but it is ill-advised to pursue the CCENT/CCNA while job hunting?

My end goal is Network Security, but right now I'm looking for a Helpdesk or Jr. Sys Admin position. So, would pursuing the CCENT be the wrong move for me right now?

Certifications: A+ | CCENT
    WIP: MCTS
  2. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

The ccent is more Cisco based but more fun to do then the Network + as it's more hands on, However the Network + would be better as a startup cert as it is a more broader subject in regards to networks. You dont need to be an expert in subnetting to pass the Network +! I would do both as your knowledge would be greater. I did not do the CCENT I took the easier path and just went straight for the CCNA.

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  3. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

I ask myself the same question... but I am still doing it. From what I have seen you could expect a NOC position or some low paid 'out of hours' role with no experience. I am sure people have landed a decent job at the end of it but I wouldn't say it's the norm.

If I were you I'd be looking at Microsoft exams for the immediate (MSCDT, MCTS etc) (especially for helpdesk) and then you can continue work on the CCENT after you've landed a job.

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Cisco has nothing to do with what your first job will entail so you would be better going for the Network+ and another entry level cert such as the MCDST or MCTS in vista and windows 7. No one starts looking after networks anyway you have to build up to that level.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

If you are interested in Cisco products then no harm in doing it but in regard to landing the job it would be best to also aim for some additional entry level certs such as A+, Network+ and MCDST.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. HalfPastJohn

HalfPastJohn Bit Poster

I understand that I won't immediately be involved with Cisco Networking, but since CCNA is above Net+, I feel like I'd be wasting time and money getting the Net+ since it'll be obsolete once I get the CCNA.

Maybe a Microsoft certification is the way to go right now..

Certifications: A+ | CCENT
    WIP: MCTS
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Your supposed to certify in what you work with and if you dont work with anything then you are supposed to get entry level certs to help you get in IT. Getting high level certs without the experience that the cert is supposed to backup can do your career more harm than good

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

If it's a toss up between CCENT and Net+ i would do the CCENT.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  9. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

Me too...

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  10. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

CCENT is entry level, hence the Entry Network Technician...

11. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

Me too.

12. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

But would a network technician be classified as an entry level IT job?

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  13. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

Why not? Network+ is also aimed at "networking professionals", yet it's considered an entry level cert.

CCENT:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  14. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

CCENT:The curriculum covers networking fundamentals, WAN technologies, basic security and wireless concepts, routing and switching fundamentals, and configuring simple networks.

The CompTIA Network+ certification is the sign of a competent networking professional. It is an international, vendor-neutral certification that proves a technician’s competency in managing, maintaining, troubleshooting, installing and configuring basic network infrastructure.

I'll put the question back to you.

Both in my opinion are an introduction to networking. One charges £70 the other £170. Cisco certifications will hold more weight than that of Comptia (I have never seen N+ requested, ever) both will need recertified within 3 years. However people with CCENT usually go on to complete CCNA (since they are half way there) and will become recertified at that point. N+ you have to sit this ridiculously overpriced exam again or do Security+.

15. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

Beat me to it!

16. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

I was going to do the network+ myself unitl i found the price of the exam and decided I would be better off doing the MCDST as the company i work for use XP.

If i had to do one of them then for cost sake I would definately consider the ccent, but would the OP not be better going for a cert that would more than likely get him an entry level position like helpdesk or desktop support?

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  17. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

Yes, I suggested earlier in the thread that he should consider Microsoft certifications first and pick the CCENT back up later on.

18. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I disagree with people saying you should certify in areas you don't know. That's like saying you can't do a degree as a doctor as you haven't had experience operating on someone first. My personal opinion is yes go for it. If your going to study areas you aren't familiar with then you need to study properly and over a sensible amount with the right equipment. I agree this won't in itself get you a job and if you don't know the basics I would strongly recommend starting with that and then move onto the CCNET.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  19. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

My 2 cents would be to do the N+ as its vendor neutral and would compliment your A+.

That said, as long as you have no illusions of becoming a network admin just off the back of it, then go and do your CCENT. Its your time and money. I don't administer Cisco kit and am considering picking up CCENT studies again purely because I have a few routers and switches at home that I'd like to make use of.

One thing I would say while I'm on is that any more than a CCNA without prior experience seems like a waste of time and money to me as its generally something you pass once you've worked on the kit. Chicken and the egg I know. You could probably get away with a CCENT with the justification being it's the entry level cert you thought you'd do due to increased competition for entry positions.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  20. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Personally I say yes, but it would be a huge advantage if you were working regularly (even at home) with some kind of cisco kit, otherwise what you learn will be gone in a years time.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal