Shortage in Networking Pros...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Lazaruseifer, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Lazaruseifer

Lazaruseifer Bit Poster

I have heard from like 3 sources about a possible shortage in Networking Professionals within the next 3 years...

Apparently, with the ever changing networking fundamentals and 'stuff', the powers that be have said that there is going to, as I said a shortage in the coming years...

I read one article in Computer Weekly, my tutor in college said he heard through the grapevine, also my Brother In law said he had heard this too...

I don't know, with the evermore growing computer skills world, I dunno, If I get a chance I will scan up the article and post it on here..

Certifications: None as of yet
    WIP: CCNA
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I think an article about that was posted a while back (i think..) not one of these two is it?
    1. Cisco Shortage
    2. Skilled Workforce Shortage

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Good background research, zimbo - nice one :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Oh, good find. I want to go the networking route so that is good news to me :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Lazaruseifer

Lazaruseifer Bit Poster

Hmmm indeed my goog fellow..

Certifications: None as of yet
    WIP: CCNA
  6. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

regarding shortages. The question to ask is WHY theres a shortage, especially with all the tech schools and masses of people with IT qualifications.

From my experience, it boils down to a single observation. Once a recruiter has sorted the wheat from the chaff and is left with a small pool of technically qualified candidates, they then have to look at the interpersonal and business skills of the candidate. Sadly, the vast majority of candidates fall down at this point.

So, if anyone wants to 'get into networking' my advise is to spend as much time and effort ensuring your communication skills and business skills are noteworthy as you do your techie skills.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  7. Rostros22

Rostros22 Kilobyte Poster

Have to completely agree with you on this one Clyde.

I had an interview last year for a network support role and the manager was more interested in what my communication skills were like more than the technical skills.

It is all very well knowing everything under the sun but if you can’t hold a 5 minute conversation with someone it just isn’t going to work.

Luckily for me I am a loud mouth and generally a confident person and always have been so my communication and interpersonal skills are ok!

Just need to sort the ‘Techie’ stuff out now…

Certifications: ITIL Certs, F.A.S.T Auditor Certs
    WIP: None - Application with Police
  8. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

Hi Rostros

You say loudmouth - I assume you mean that tongue in cheek! Excessive 'in yer face' loud people are as bad as meek, silent shy ones as far as communication skills go..

Not having a go, just thought I'd mention it for the readers!

9. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I dont know about in the next 3 years, but i certainly think its going to happen soon. Too many companies will only hire people with like 3 years experience, so it doesnt matter if you have all the degrees and qualifications, if you dont have experience, you dont get in (its not ALL like this, but you generally find that the ones who will are few and far between, and seriously underpay - although thats a small price to pay in order to get the experience you need to go elsewhere).

I think in about 10 years time, when all the execs are retired, and the underlings have been promoted to higher levels they are going to panic. it puts them in a situation where they will have no shortage of low level personel (easy to hire people), and high level personel, but the middle ground will have a severe shortage.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  10. Rostros22

Rostros22 Kilobyte Poster

Hi Clyde

Yeah I don't mean that I am in your face or anything like that!

Just that I am confident talking to people and have always been like that. I just wanted to point out that in a support based role your main objective is to speak to end users, and explain what you are doing etc.

I agree that if you are 'over the top' then that is just as bad as not communicating at all.

Certifications: ITIL Certs, F.A.S.T Auditor Certs
    WIP: None - Application with Police
  11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

yeah. the only thing that concerns me is how much Cisco equipment is in use... :blink

12. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I've been reading articles on how the IT job market is one of the hottest, or soon-to-be hottest job market for several years now. Now, I'm pretty cynical when it comes to these "news items" because I keep seeing the ads and yet I keep seeing more and more jobs being moved overseas, i.e. being outsourced. I have seen nothing that says outsourcing is even slowing down, let alone stopping, so to what purpose the ads?

As I said I'm cynical. I see only one purpose in the ads. The greater the number of people per available job, the lower the wage scale is going go. So, if the industry keeps on saying Oh, get into IT there are going to be tons of jobs and there aren't what happens? The wage scale goes down and the companies get to skim the cream off the top in the pool of applicants for far less money.

Big corporations are run off of greed and I see no evidence that they give a rip about their employees. They see them as a commodity, and a commodity goes down in value as it becomes more prevalent. But then, as I said, I'm cynical when I see all the ads, the current trends in hiring and outsourcing, and businesses determined to make themselves more profitable by reducing their workforce I wonder where the jobs are supposed to come from. Something doesn't add up. 3-2 != 5

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  13. Boycie
    Honorary Member

yeah, fair point Fred

14. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

Fred has a point in that companies are run by accountants who'd gut you for a penny, but I think its fair to say theres a lack of technical PROFESSIONAL IT bods out there. Were it ethical I'd love to show you guys the typical responses I've seen to advertised jobs but suffice to say the majority are unsuitable and a surprising number are sheer crap!

Remember, IT ain't just about technology.

15. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

With what freddy was saying about more skilled workers meaning less pay..ive seen it happen here in cyprus.. they take the cream de la crem and pay them penauts! The number of system admins who have masters in this and masters in that and the average IT salary must be around 800 (GBP) a month! i just hope the uk doesnt go that way! :(

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  16. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

awww go on, show us. its alright so long as you dont name names. its like a doctor, they can talk about cases to anyone they want, they just cant reveal who it is about. ('a had this person come in today with....')

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  17. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

Feargal, it would be no fun without seeing the dodgy CVs.

I can say I've seen 14 page CVs, CVs with no contact details. CVs with profiles stating the candidate wants a completely different kind of job... etc etc.

Combine that with illiterate covering letters and CVs, applicants applying who would end up working illegally etc etc...

18. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Not exactly to do with networking, but there are lot of articles circulating especially on the techguild website that IT is becoming more involved in the business decisions of the company they are working for.

So nowadays I think if you really want to get into IT you have a knowledge of business as well.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  19. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Cos they don't pay well! :blink

20. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

im with sandy, people expect the world from thier IT staff but want to get away with commodity wages, if there were plenty of us, there would not be a shortage, so you cant have it both ways :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0