Shocked!!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by twizzle, Mar 21, 2006.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Had a phone call earlier today form an agency. They were ringing about a job i'd applied for thru them. It was advertised online and only a brief description was give... It was for a 1st line Helpdesk support role. Skills needed knowledge of windows OS, netscape and office suite, some hardware skills required...
    I thought that due to the level of pay being offered it would require some indepth knowledge and some form of certification...

How ever when the agency rang the guy basically said that after reading my CV i was over qualified and over experienced for the role and would i mind dumming down my CV. Bear in mind i only have the A+ as a formal IT qualification and i havent worked for 2 years (not consistently anyway). So i was in shock!!! :ohmy I have never been told that i have been both over qualified and over experienced a job. Normally i get one or the other not both.... Stunned i still told the guy that i had applied as i wanted to break back into IT and was willing to start at an entry level job such as he had described..

Now having been emailed the full job description, i find i cover most of whats required, i just dont have helpdesk written on my CV ( i put customer / user support which the agency guys reckons means more than basic helpdesk)!!! So still in shock im now in the process of DUMMING down my CV... I need a job and that one pays more than enough for me... and it would let me carry on studying for more certifications while working!!

Wish me luck all... it might just be my lucky break!!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Best of luck for the interview mate :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. DJDave

DJDave Bit Poster

I have heard off a few people, if you know to much about computers PC World don't give you a Job.

WIP: CIW
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Best of luck!

Quite often the 1st line doesn't need to know very much at all. You work from a script, and can't deviate from that script. If the script doesn't resolve the problem then it gets punted to 2nd line.

This *may* be why they say you are over-qualified. However I have learned that agencies often know very little about anything technical - so they my be missleading you!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Good Luck! :biggrin

6. cazzam35

cazzam35 Kilobyte Poster

Having employed a few people in my past roles, if you know too
    much then they have to pay you more.

But then again, I can believe what your saying about pcworld,
    I've yet to find someone in there that knows enough???

I'm not knocking anyone here if you work for them, but went in
    with a freind to give him advice on buying a pc, and the sales
    lad told him he'd be able to download movies in minutes? Yes minutes.

:eek:

Certifications: currently doing A+/MCSE
    WIP: Curr/Supervisor/Duty Mgr/Retail DIY
  7. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Good luck, hope it pays off for you.

Not wanting to put a downer on the whole situation but I agree with hbroom hall in that agencies don't always know what they are talking about....technology wise.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  8. cazzam35

cazzam35 Kilobyte Poster

Most agencies work on figures, there own.

I have to use agencies in my current job to ease busy times, and I hate too.

They don't seem to care who they are giving you, or what you have there people do.

That said, some are better than others at what they do, the
    agencies that is. Some actually care.

Certifications: currently doing A+/MCSE
    WIP: Curr/Supervisor/Duty Mgr/Retail DIY
  9. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Good luck with it mate,

PC world are a funny bunch. My mum calls me up from there every now and again and this dark cloud in the shape of another Sunday afternoon at her computer forms over my head.

If you need any help with the CV I can recommend an excellent site I'm exchanging links with:

http://www.professional-resume-example.com/

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Good luck, twizzle.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  11. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Best of luck mate! 8) Nice to hear of some good news on the job side of things!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  12. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Well revamped my CV (basically changed support role for helpdesk :) ) and sent it off to the agency. Will see tomorrow what the guy says about it now.

Thanks for all the good lucks lol i think im gonna need em as its been awhile for me...

And yes i have heard the same of PC world... i'd shop there for parts when desperate but would never ask for tech support from them!! ( i've been turned down for a tech role with them due to having too much experience years ago!!!)

I would say your better off going to the local small PC retial outlet (like the one me g/f bro owns) and ask them for help. Normally these guys wont charge as much as PC world and as thier reputation depends on custom and word of mouth rather than large supplies for sale they give good accurate advice and tell the truth when it comes to problems and faults!
    As an example a friend of mine was told by PC world that every 6 months he needed them to do a check up on his pc. He thought they would fix any faults found on it when they do this.... I found out all they do is run a chkdsk, defrag and antivirus scan and all for a charge!!! any faults found then they charge extra for!!!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  13. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Good luck with the job mate. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hoping for some good news for you :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)