shields up help

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by ant2005uk, Mar 31, 2005.

1. ant2005uk

ant2005uk Byte Poster

I have just run the test again, and it failed one part -

Attempting connection to your computer. . .
    Shields UP! is now attempting to contact the Hidden Internet Server within your PC. It is likely that no one has told you that your own personal computer may now be functioning as an Internet Server with neither your knowledge nor your permission. And that it may be serving up all or many of your personal files for reading, writing, modification and even deletion by anyone, anywhere, on the Internet!

Please can someone explain to me what this is all about, should I be concerned? anything I can do to patch this uyp? or is it just a false alarm. Every other test was passed with full stealth.

2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

ummmmmm. which test was this and where????

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. ant2005uk

ant2005uk Byte Poster

The file sharing test at http://www.grc.com/

It was the only element of the test, and all the tests showing as a cause for concern. Everything else was marked as closed and completely stealthed.

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

What sort of firewall are you using and what port still seems to be open?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. ant2005uk

ant2005uk Byte Poster

Im using Zonealarm pro and it doesnt say which port is open, just that I may have this hidden server on my PC that people can access. Seems strange as I said on all the other tests it passed with pure stealth, no ports were seen to be open.

6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Just a thought Ant, are you using any p2p or bit torrent stuff, becouse this can act as a server.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Just a thought, but if you had Remote Desktop enabled (assuming XP) then wouldn't that potentially appear to the test as an open port, and an available server ? After all, by definition, RDP is there to allow anyone (assuming your permission) to connect and control your PC :hhhmmm

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

and Kazaa is evil. :twisted:

9. ant2005uk

ant2005uk Byte Poster

I have both kazaa and ishareit installed, both p2p programs. Shall I just get rid of them I never use them now. The thing is though I just set my firewall to block inbound and outbound connections from them and it still saying same on shields up. So not sure if it will make a differance

10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Uninstall both and re-run the test. If they aren't the problem, you'll have to look again.

11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

im confused why anybody as paranoid about security as yourself would have any P2P apps running AT ALL? everybody knows thats one of the number once source of malware, adware, phishing scams, and IP harvesting

and I still cant seem to notice the extact part of Shields Up! thats giving you a bad result, is it a perticualar ports its highlighting? is it windows netbios connectivity (thats real bad)?

a bit more details would help us in this matter :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  12. ant2005uk

ant2005uk Byte Poster

Lol no its not from the windows netbios porting, all that was marked as pure stealth. If you click the very first button 'file sharing' and its the first result that pops up on there :D

13. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Grab a copy of the Un-Plug and Prey freeware from GRC.
    http://www.grc.com/UnPnP/UnPnP.htm
    I dont know if that will help, but I had the free Zone Alarm firewall and closed the plug and play port and got a perfect stealth rating on all the tests at GRC.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  14. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

well i have just done the stealth test and totally passed, i even have p2p file sharing on the com but they are closed at the mo. i have macafee antivirus and firewall and as soon as i download anythinf dodgy it tells me and even cleans it and the firewall alerts me to a lot of things too . i had zone alarm buit didnt think it was up to much,

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  15. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I use the Zone Alarm free firewall, but it has given me a few problems now and then. It is a powerful firewall, but a bit temperamental. The Zone Labs forum is full of people having issues. McAfee is one of those quiet contenders, their firewall just does its job, no fuss. A very good firewall.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation