Sharing data and Internet connection wirelessly between several computers...

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by kobem, Jan 29, 2011.

1. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

Without installing wireless access points or modem/routers. I wouldn't know that.

i am running a little bit older ADSL2+ single-Éthernet port modem and three computers. Two of them has
    wireless network cards built-in. I have been considering buying a wireless ADSL modem/router until
    i learn this thing.

Internet connection is provided through this single-port modem goes to one of the wireless network card built-in
    computer via UTP cat 5 cable. Then from its wireless network card via radio waves, flows to the other computer which is netbook without any additional network devices. (as i read)

What should the disadvantages be of this method compared to the network structure with additional devices?

Certifications: CCNA
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Do you have a single LAN port coming off the ADSL router? If so you would need a switch and then this could have a WAP and any devices you want to be patched in directly without wireless capability.

Would be best to get a wireless ADSL router though.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Hey, would you Look at that? Amazing, it only took me a single google too. amazing that google thingamajig!

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

i managed to make a wireless network at my place using just a normal home router from belkin. i'm sure the initial setup is different on a server but if you already have a wireless access point, sure it's easy? i didn't find it too hard and i have no qualifications. But like i said i don't have a server here.

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yep a normal router will do wether its on a stand alone pc a server or a small peer to peer. Although with servers you can have centralized storage and all that jazz where as you cant with a stand alone system but the premis is technically the same.

See Kobem you dont need certs to teach you stuff you just need to practice like Steve has done and in practicing he learns how it all works.

Well done Steve Repped

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

What you are doing in this situation is creating an ad-hoc network, where or pc with the wired connection to the modem and the wireless card is sharing the internet connection. This should work fine for a small number of hosts but you pc will always have to be switched on to share the connection. You will have to configure your network setting yourself unless your going to set up that main pc to run as a dhcp server. A wireless modem router will use less power to run than your pc, it will/should provide dhcp services, encryption and a firewall in the long run its easier to manage.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST
  7. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

yeah you're right. I totally had forgotten to say that was for ad-hoc. But, even though struggling for hours,
    i couldn't manage it work.

I need to go step by step what i have done so far :

1) i created an ad-hoc network over one of the wireless network card built-in computers. Adjusted
    SSID as "xxx" , entered the security key and selected WPA2 personal encryption method. Also
    set sharing options from wireless network adapter on this computer by ticking selection regarded sharing Internet connection. (at the same time connected via ethernet cable to the single-port modem)

2) Then, i tried to connect to this WLAN from the other wireless network card equipped computer. After
    these steps, i couldn't even achieve to share files and Internet connection between these two.

I still can not find the mistake. What is missing?

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

all of the wireless devices need to be set to adhoc.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

I would check all your ip settings
    set all connections to ad-hoc
    turn off the security until you know the network is working then secure it afterwards

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST
  10. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

Thanks for it. However, there still appears two things i really didn't get :

one ; why must i enter SSID while not only creating a WLAN but also on wirelesss network adapter settings?

two ; after forming a WLAN on a computer, adding same WLAN from the other computer? (i do not get
    it since we have already connected to one from another, so both of them should see same WLAN)

11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You can connect to share files etc. but connecting to another PC to share its internet connection is a different thing entirely.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

cheers mate, always wondered how you get those rep points. can't have been for my english lol as i just re read the post and part of the second sentance in my post made no sense at all!
    I would just like to add that when i set this up, i hadn't started the a+ yet, i figured out how to do that and map network drives etc on my peer to peer network just by trying little bits of what i'd figured out at home.

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  13. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

oh men, i tried so many times after i entered my latest post here but nothing worked. One of the laptops
    see as "multiple connection" but on the other, connection was lost easily. Moreover, on wireless adapter settings
    of the adapter on one of the laptops, i was not able to see SSID option and wireless mode option.(the part which has ad hoc, auto and infrastructure)

How do these affect the connection?