Sharing a printer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by steve_p1981, Apr 12, 2011.

1. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

ok so we got a new printer for the p2p network at work. i installed and shared it as you are supposed to, worked fine on all pc's. then i try and print to a pre existing printer on one of the pc's and it cant send the file to the printer. it only affected this one machine and as it wasn't directly connected to the printer, i couldn't view it in device manager. i deleted and re installed the printer and drivers and still had the problem. i ended up doing a restore to a day before the new printer was installed and it was ok again. i re installed the new printer again and everything is fine.

my question is, could i have done any thing else to solve the fault and is the fix i used the right thing to do. i assume it is as it worked.

we are using xp pro sp3 machines.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2011
    Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  2. wiedzmin

wiedzmin New Member

Did you try to turn it off and on again? :)

Were you able to ping (see) the device after you maintained the drivers and ip addresses?

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

nope, it was wierd, i could ping the computer it was connected to. It would also show up in the add new printer screen when i clicked browse network printer and load the drivers needed. When i looked at the printer properties, it was using the most recent drivers according to the about tab. But as soon as i done the sys restore, it was cured. Don't know if it got confused or what.

4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

P2P network all users have to have the same username and password on each machine to use the shared resources.

Best bet is to check to make sure that all of these match and the there are no permissions conflicts.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

i haven't set up user names and passwords. these are machines that the boss brought from his house over time and didn't want the hassle of names and passwprds on the systems. so they are all running as admin profiles with full entitlements to everything.

6. voipstnd

voipstnd New Member

Open Administrative Tools then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type administrative tools, and click, Double-click Services. If you're prompted for an administrator password, type the password. Right-click the Print Spooler service, and then click Properties. On the General tab, next to Startup type, make sure that Automatic is selected. click Start, then click OK. If you're prompted for an administrator password.

7. Net

Net New Member

Maybe the problem wasn't the drivers of the new printer itself. But something else you installed that day, another small software or drivers for something. And that was conflicting with the printers. You restored the system to an earlier time, conflict got removed and the same set-up started working, that wasn't working before.