Sharepoint Definitive Guide Competition

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Phoenix, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Our resident author Tripwire45 has given us another signed copy of one of his books to give away here on the forum!

This time it's a big one!

Sharepoint 2007: The Definitive Guide
    • Paperback: 819 pages
    • Publisher: O'Reilly Media, Inc. (24 Sep 2007)
    • Language English
    • ISBN-10: 0596529589
    • ISBN-13: 978-0596529581
    • Product Dimensions: 24.1 x 17.8 x 3.6 cm
    We have decided to make the competition a little more forum related this time, but is still open to all, irrelevant of experience!

The Challenge is as follows

Tell us in one post (a reply to THIS thread) a great way you see Sharepoint working in your organisation (or any organisation if you don't have one)
    This does NOT have to be a technical design, in fact we are discouraging that, we just want to know you have looked into Sharepoints many possible uses and have found a creative way of using it

Sharepoint is a very powerful tool and we will be judging how well your proposal uses sharepoint to the fullest, and bonus points for creativity!

The winner will be announced on the 27th of June! so get crackin folks!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The Sharepoint retail box can prop open the breakroom door leading to the office hallway quite nicely. You see, the door locks when it closes, so we have to carry our keys if we want to enter or exit through the breakroom door. With Sharepoint, our problems are solved! :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I feel I speak on behalf of and in agreement with the rest of certforums.co.uk when I say this should be the winning entry!!!

:clap:respct:sunny:funfun:yep:bud:police

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  4. BosonMichael

He did say to come up with a non-technical, creative way of using it... and the best part is... IT'S TRUE! :p

...if I can find a Sharepoint box around here, I'll even take a pic!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Gee Ryan...I guess you get to keep the book, then...:rolleyes:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. BosonMichael

There's still almost 3 weeks left. 8)

7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Give em time Jim
    might require a bit more research than the boob caption! but then again, that was the idea :)

8. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Ok, so my boss just walked into my office and tasked me with setting up an entire Sharepoint system (MOSS included), and he knows just a little bit less than I do (about Sharepoint, that is). Me? I know next to nothing :blink So, can we base this on need? :D

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Well tell us what you plan to do :)
    what sort of usage are you looking at? what kind of user interaction? how do you see your staff using sharepoint as part of their jobs? simple intranet? full business intelligence interface? details mate! :)

if you can do that, at this rate you might win by default!

10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Remember, I sent the book to the UK so the UK members would have a shot at it. If Fortch wins fair and square, you'lll have to either mail it to him in Virginia from the UK or wait until you move to the US where the postal rates won't kill you.

11. BosonMichael

hey, hey, hey, don't be so hasty... what was wrong with MY entry? :dry

:p

12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

your entry sucked
    I'm pretty sure a complete print out of the linux man pages would serve that purpose better
    why use proprietary software to hold a door open when FOSS will do?
    ;)

13. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

ba-da-bing.

You can't argue against that.

You should have said you'd use it to keep your windows open.:twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  14. BosonMichael

Cause ink is expensive, and FOSS ain't boxed. :p

But now that you mention it... your input intrigues me... :hhhmmm

15. BosonMichael

Don't you mean Windows, with a capital W? :twisted:

16. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Based on this (which i probably misinterpreted what it can do) http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/casestudy.aspx?casestudyid=4000000149

My business idea would be to use sharepoint for our customers to login to externally and view photos and documentation online, so they can be more up to date with how there project is progressing, day and night, which would decrease need for them to spend time on the phone.
    All of this is searchable, and setup by customer login.

However....

This would really be a cover for the fantasy football/webforum server running for the benefit of our staff (unbeknowns to management ;) )

Either way the true moral is it would “provide huge benefits for us. It is helping us increase our usership, and our revenue potential. It is also helping us to reposition and promote the xyz brand in an entirely new way.”

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  17. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Actually, I'm in Los Angeles, but that's OK, someone in the UK can benefit from it I'm sure. As to what we'd do with it or how we'd utilize it....well, isn't that what the friggin' book is for??? :p

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  18. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Sorry. The location listed in your Profile says "Lake Ridge, VA", so naturally, I was confused. :wink:

19. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

How I would use Sharepoint:

I'll start with the standard type of things to set up like calendars for resources, like rooms etc that people could view as to when they are booked and free, in addition to document management areas for each department. I know this is a no brainer but it's what I'd start with.

Then I'd incorporate reporting from the firewall and antivirus server into an interface to be updated daily and also to put out monthly reports for the management. It's also not so special but it's nice to have all the information in one place rather than have to visit several places to get the information or be inundated with emails.

Then, we currently have Filemaker database server inhouse which hosts all our databases (naturally). The plan is to use this as the backend so the users can access the database information going through the sharepoint web interface.

And then I plan to use it to set up a frontend area for the secretaries. From here they can add new users to the company with the click of a few buttons, creating their user accounts, groups to be added to and possibly even creating their user folders etc too.

Edit: One other thing that I would really like to do is to set it up do do email archiving. Being able to configure it to archive mail and also to do it for the back and forth conversations/replies would help us a lot.

(actually I know that I could do most of it with sharepoint services but...I'd like a free book as much as anyone else :biggrin )

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  20. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Funnily enough, I was in one of our offices, talking to one of the Architecture guys today. I mentioned Sharepoint, and how I felt we could benefit from it's use in our 'business'. I explained that I saw us using it for intranet and internet, resouring, document handling (we have LOTS of documents) and so on. Said I felt we were missing a trick if we didn't look seriously to see what advantages it could give us.

We had a discussion on best way forward/how to start, and we agreed that the aim initially is to make damn sure that however we use it is fluid enough to cope with the constant changes in the organisation. It'll need a lot of hard work, but I am determined that I am going to be in at the start.

Sorted!