Shared mailboxes

Discussion in 'Software' started by Makaveli, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Hi guys

Situation - Email accounts are currently configured using POP3 and files mail box folders and wab are located on a shared network drive. To configure 1 email account on 2 PC's would it be possible to change POP3 to IMAP in settings for a new setup, would this allow for both users to be able to access the one shared email account on 2 different PCs. Is this how IMAP works? or do folders have to be setup?

Ive done some googling but im not totally clear on IMAP, anyone got any experience of this......

2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Not too sure what you're trying to do here.

You can set the same pop3 email account to be used on two pc's no problem.
    Where there will be a problem (I think) is when both users are on the pc's at the same time. I could see that whoever checks the email first will get one set of mails and the second user won't see them (??). You would also need to make sure that on both account setup's that (at least in outlook) the "leave a copy on the server" box is checked.

Also, with sending mails both users would have individual sent to boxes and wouldn't be able to see each other's sent mails.

I don't know if it will work but the best thing is to simply try it out.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

You would need to get your mail provider to change the mailbox type from pop3 to imap (if they were willing). You could then use the one account from both machines, and configure the folders however you wanted, and yes - this is how imap is designed to work.

HTH :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Nugget and Jakamoko - Yes, its a shared "department mail box" which is used/checked by more than one person. The "Internet Mail and News" is currently being used on Windows NT, however XP doesnt have "Internet Mail and News", hence the question.

The "leave a copy on the server" box option is not available on Outlook Express 6 as far as I am aware. The mailbox would only be used by one person at a time, but the mailbox will need to be setup on different PC's and for all people accessing to be able to view ALL messages recieved, weather read by other people or not. Does that make sense....

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes it is, I have just checked.

Go to Tools > Accounts > Mail tab > select the account and click the Properties button > Advanced tab and under the delivery heading there is a check box "leave a copy of message on server"

HTH

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

As Pete says, to leave a copy on the server, check the screenshot:

However, as I understand it OE also marks the messages on the server as "read" after it downloads (and leaves a copy) so the other OE would not see any new messages, even tho copies were on the server.

You really need to be looking at an imap setup here, my friend.

Attached Files:

• OE6.JPG
      OE6.JPG
      File size:
      33.4 KB
      Views:
  7. eyeball

eyeball Nibble Poster

do you have webmail access to the account. if so then can you all access through that?

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCSA
    WIP: CCNA, MCSE+security
  8. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

No its all stored on the local machine....

Bluerinse, I have done a quick test with leaving a copy on the server and that worked fine.... next question then.......... I know its possible to have more than 1 email account configured in Outlook Express but say a user has access to departmental mail and also requires access to their person email - the thing is that these emails/folders would all be stored in the same folder - therefore if they were imported to a new machine the departmental inbox, outbox etc emails would be mixed with the personal email address ones. Is it possible for each email address to have its own location where all emails/folders are stored... I dont think this is possible as when you do a regedit there is only one location for the store root. Anyone know any different??

If not would having Outlook 2000 and Outlook Express solve this problem, not too sure how Outlook 2000 works... does it use the store root function to locate where all emails are saved/stored? And is it possible to set the store root to be a different location to Outlook Express? Any ideas guys?? :(

9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Firstly, am I over-simplifying here by suggesting that if you are checking say two email accounts, and you want mail to each to be kept distinct, then just create two subfolders withing the Inbox, then use OE to create a Message Rule for each account so that mail "To" address A goes to folder A and mail "To" address B goes to folder B ?

As for moving the store folder, click Tools > Options > Maintenance > Store Folder, the select "Change". You can certainly manually copy and restore individual folders from here to a new location if restoring at a later date, or on a different machine, but I'm not sure if there is an automated way to do this. You can use File > Import or Export and select a folder, but I'm not sure how much control this gives you over moving/ restoring contents.

HTH.

10. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Think u misunderstood me - I know how to change the store root. I wanted to know if there can be two, 1 for each email address OR if you have both Outlook Express and Outlook 2000 installed is there 2 different store roots...

11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

My apologies - I thought I might be answering in haste. :oops: I'll dig around and see what I can find for you tho :)

12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You could use Outlook Express for the personal stuff and Outlook for the company email account. The messages are stored in two different places and with different file types, OE has already been discussed here.

Outlook uses a file that by deafult is named outlook.pst, this is in the users profile and can get very large. If the company uses MS EXchange, well then things are different.

13. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

How do I find the location for where these are stored without doing a search for .pst files. Is there a setting like in Outlook Express where you can set/modify the store root? Done a quick regedit and could see anything similar for Outlook 2000. Thanks for your help

14. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

The .pst folders can be stored anywhere, including a network share. I would perhaps suggest setting up 2 profiles within outlook and getting outlook to prompt the user for which ever profile they want either work or personal.

The first profile will be say the work address and store the .pst files on a netwotk share and the personal profile on the local machijne.

Control panel - mail - profile. Set up a new profile with tghe alternative email address either IMAP or POP.

Hope that makes sense. :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  15. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Cant see an option for Mail in control panel, is there a way of accessing in from command prompt?

16. eyeball

eyeball Nibble Poster

What version of outlook is it?

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCSA
    WIP: CCNA, MCSE+security
  17. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Outlook 2000

18. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

A Little Linky to the Microsoft site.

The bit you want is towards the bottom of the page about using a command prompt and newprof.exe

Hope that helps :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  19. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

I tried it through control panel at home and worked straight away, but at work there is no mail icon in control panel, is there a way to do this without going to the control panel? I tried what it said in the article and didnt seem to work i could only find the newprofile.exe and it didnt work.... any help would be appreciated

20. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

The mail icon appears in Control Panel only when a MAPI client program has been installed, like Outlook. Not sure why yours doesn't show at work but it could be a group policy setting, hiding the applet.