setupmgr.exe can someone do me a favour ?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by supernova, Jan 6, 2009.

1. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I only have retail and evaluation licences for XP (trial not technet) so setupmgr doesn’t produce UDF's

i wonder what the format of the UDF file looks like?

cheers

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  2. supernova

is it just a plan list of computer names?

Code:
    comp1
    comp2
    comp3
    comp4
    ...etc

3. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

I can't work out what your question is and i've used setupmgr already,here is a guide to show what happens when you use setupmgr in windows xp.
    http://www.ebuford.com/ed_buford_just_another_ge/2005/11/index.html

you use setupmgr to create an answer file,a sif,file which is like a text file,this file you can place on a floppy disc and insert at boot up.

This person is also using a floppy disc along with setupmgr.exe
    i removed this link,seemed dodgy
    "Now copy the winnt.sif file to a floppy, boot the computer from the Windows CD and put the floppy in the drive only after the computer begins booting from the CD. Windows Setup will automatically look for the file on the floppy"

Windows Unattended Installation

By Michael Guyett

Nothing is more fun than installing Windows on a computer. Sitting there watching the screen waiting for the install program to prompt you for all the information it needs from you. A typical installation usually takes around 30 to 45 minutes. Now imagine you need to do four installations, now ten, now twenty. You can see where this could take a long time. If you charge per hour, 20 computers could cost your clients a pretty penny.

Let's say you need to get Windows installed on a machine in a remote location, and there aren't any tech savvy users to do the process for you. This is where unattended installations come in handy. All you have to do is create an answer file. Then you can email the file to them, or even just snail-mail them a floppy with it, and presto, your user can do the install without knowing anything about the computer. Luckily for us, Microsoft was kind enough to put in tools to help you automate the process.
    Getting Started

The first tool you need is setupmgr.exe. This is the program that lets you answer all of the installation questions ahead of time, and save them to a disk. This is the most import part of the unattended installation.

Setupmgr.exe is found on the Windows Install CD. It is located in Support\Tools\DEPLOY.CAB open this file up, select all the files, then go to the file menu and choose extract. Extract the files to a directory where you can find them, I usually use c:\Windows\Deploytools\

md c:\windows\deploytools
    expand -f:* deploy.cab c:\windows\deploytools
    The Quiz

Now run setupmgr.exe. Choose 'Create a new answer file'. Now choose: Windows X Unattended Answer file. You might have to choose what type of computer your setting up, for example, Windows 2000 setupmgr will ask if you are setting up 2000 Pro, or 2000 server. Next you get to choose the type of unattended installation, for our purposes, we're going to choose fully unattended.

Now just follow the wizard, answering the questions as you want them to be answered. Finish the wizard and save the file. If the wizard asked for a CD-Key, you just need to rename the answer file to winnt.sif. If you didn't get asked to put in the CD-Key you need to do so manually. Open the answer file in notepad (I believe it is unattend.txt). Under [UserData] put in the following header and key:

ProductID=”xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx”

Replace the x's with your actual CD-Key. Now save the file as winnt.sif

Clue #1: When you extracted the files from Deploy.Cab it created a "unattend.doc" file. In this document are all the additional options you can include in the winnt.sif file. If you need something special done on install, you might take a look and see if it too can be automated.

Clue #2: If you saved the file as the default option "unattend.txt" you will need to rename the file. Make sure in Tools>Folder Options>View you have unchecked the option "Hide extensions for known file types" or else you could end up saving your file as "winnt.sif.txt" on accident!

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  4. supernova

Yes i know that .. thanks

My question is If you have a volume licence and use setupmgr to make a answerfile to install on many machines, it will produce a UDF file along with the answerfile, the UDF contains unique information for each machine.

I would like to know what that file would look like when you open it with notepad?

I cant get setupmgr to make one because i only have a evaluation key and evaluation CD of XP with me. So it wont work when i try.

5. supernova

Got back to day got a Vol Lic

So i now know whats in a UDF and its format

6. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Can you post part of your UDF file for folks to see?

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  7. supernova

i don’t have it anymore but its in the following format, server because example is deploying servers obviously

Answer file
    Code:
    [UserData] 
    ComputerName=Server1
    FullName="Mark Rouse"
    OrgName="BrainCore.NET"
    ProductID=GTR4Q-8GHEM-4TGES-GLS9Y-FG6TW
    (yes key is fake :-) )

UDF
    Code:
    [UniqueIds]
      Server1=UserData