Setting up trusts

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Meeker, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Meeker

Meeker New Member

Folks, I have another problem. I am setting up a test network to I can practice administering group scopes with different domains. I have 2 2003 Server domains and a router. The router is static, does not handle DHCP but does connect to my ISP for broadband. Each domain is configured to run DHCP. I am trying to setup trust relationships between the 2 domains. They are in separate forrests also.

When I try to Validate the trusts it says that "Windows cannot find a domain controller for the xyz.com domain. Verify that a DC is available and then try again". I can ping the other DC by name and IP address. With NSLOOKUP however, I get the message:

***Can't find server name for address 30.0.0.1: Non-existant domain
    Server: UnKnown
    Address: 30.0.0.1

Non-authoratative answer:
    Name: xyz.com
    Address: 213.171.191.236

I setup a basic DNS configuration (my first time setting up DNS) on both servers. nbtstat-c brings up the standard 4 entries for group and unique records for the other domain.

Any ideas? I get the feeling I have made a mistake with the DNS config?

Certifications: MCSE NT4, 70-270
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Can you ping the other domain? For example can you ping xyz.com and it comes back with the LAN IP of the DC?

On the server you are configuring the trust on if you change the DNS IP in the properties of the LAN connection to be the IP of the *other* domain controller that should sort out your DNS issues.

Basically when you are configuring the trust the DNS in each domain is having problems resolving the internal domain name of the domain it wants to trust. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Meeker

Meeker New Member

Thanks for your advice. I have discovered a much more basic problem which is a problem with the computer account. It appears to have corrupted. I am reinstalling (after repair failed). I will have to try again then.

Certifications: MCSE NT4, 70-270
    WIP: MCSE 2003