Setting up outlook express

Discussion in 'Software' started by flex22, Dec 1, 2003.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Believe it or not, I've hardly used outlook express this past year or more.

So far I've always used webmail, although I did used to use outlook exclusively a while back.

Well, I've decided to move my ISP webmail accounts to outlook express.I've moved the first one but how do I add more.
    This seems easy in the help files but I can't check for mail on the other accounts.

Sorry for being totally thick on this elite board.

Any help :?:

2. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Flex, go to tools > Accounts click Add, select Mail... then just follow the wizard, when done, double click on the account you have just created and make sure "Include this account wen receiving maail or synchronising" is checked. you should now pick up mail from all accounts when sending or receiving.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  3. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Thanks, but I've done that.
    When I click send/receive I just get the one account contents.How do I see the other accounts :?:

4. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

are you getting any errors reported when you click send / recieve ?

5. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Well I was getting some about wrong password and that, don't know why, they were the right passwords.Anyway that's sorted.

Here's the deal.I have webmail with my tiscali account.I have 6 email addresses (possible).In reality I have set up 2 so far.

I access these accounts via webmail.However I want to access them through outlook express now.

I went through the wizard and typed in my first email address.
    Then I specified the incoming server pop.tiscali.co.uk
    and the outgoing server smtp.tiscali.co.uk

So, that's fine, I have that email account now in outlook.

But how do I get the next one in there :?:

When I do this it renames pop.tiscali.co.uk to pop.tiscali.co.uk (1)

This is probably simple, :soz but can you see where I'm going wrong :helpread

6. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

It sounds like it's just naming your next tiscali account pop.tiscali.co.uk [1], if you double click on that account the top text box on the first tab lets you change that name. The POP and SMTP server entries will be the same for both accounts I would imagine the username will be your email address for that account and the password the password associated with that email address. That should be all you need, are you sure there is something for outlook express to pick up in both accounts?

7. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for the help Phil.
    I've done everything that you've said already.Thing is, I'm receiving them all, least that's what I click on.
    So, my default is shown in the inbox area first.Ok that's fine, but how do I find the other account.Which button do I press to get to the next account.

This is probably so straight forward, but it's puzzling the life out of me at the mo :scratch

8. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Ah, quick update.
    Both accounts are now coming through.

Just one other question though.How do i separate them, so they show in individual inboxes :?:

9. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Sorry Flex needed to get some sleep, to get the mail into separate folders, first of all create the folders then go to tools > Message Rules > Mail... and configure rules that move the mail into each folder depending on who the recipient is.

HTH

10. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

No worries Phil, thanks for the help.

I think what it is, is that I've got it in my head since using webmail accounts, that I separate areas using the actual email address.

If you see, I use a certain email address for dealing with business type emails, cv's, book orders, and another for family mail etc.

I think I'm right in saying that outlook express doesn't bother separating the emails as per address, but as per folder assignment.

Hope you can see what I'm saying, and am I correct :?:

Anyway, I'll have to sort out a folder strategy sometime soon.

Thanks!

11. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

OE just bungs all mail into the inbox regardless of who it was sent to so if you want them separating I think you will need to set up some sort of folder strategy and rules.

12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Just been reading this one with interest, as I use both Outlook and Outlook Express, and Tiscali is my ISP as well.

In OE6, Flex, you go to Tools>Message Rules>Mail, then in the first pane, use the "When the To line Contains", tick this. In the second pane, tick the "Move to Specified folder"

You'll then see that in the 3rd pane, there is a "contains people" link, and a "specified" folder link. Click each of these in turn, and add in the criteria you want, for example:

"contains people" - you enter<email addy you use for business>
    ""Specified" folder = Flex (business)

Then do similar for your Friends & family account. Only thing is, I'd suggest you want to create these folders first, before you set up the rule.

Hope that helps, and doesn't tread on anyone else's toes above !

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  13. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Thanks very much for the help.

I'll sort this out this evening.Just involved with a tutor chat at Computeach so will do soon as.

Thanks again :thumbleft