SETTING UP A WIRELESS NETWORK?

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by UCHEEKYMONKEY, Sep 30, 2007.

1. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

SETTING UP A WIRELESS NETWORK?

I have been asked by a friend to help setup a wireless network, I have no practical experience in wireless networking, but have set up a LAN and USB broad band network. So my knowledge on wireless is very limited!!:(

So, my friend is on Broadband ADSL and uses a USB Speed touch Modem which is connect to a BT land line through an ADSL Filter. He wants to Connect 3 PC’s to the wireless network!

He has bought this from PC world and wants to connect 3 PCS in the house to the wireless network:-
    http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/103735
    The first PC has Windows XP SP2 with Zone Alarm firewall; it has onboard modem for dialup and LAN card but no wireless card.
    The second PC a Laptop upstairs has a wireless 802.11g card but runs on Windows Vista and uses vista firewall only!
    The Third PC downstairs is a shuttle that runs on Windows XP Media centre has wireless and wired card and standard XP firewall.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/default.mspx
    Looking at the back of the router it has 4 CAT5e (RJ45) connections but no USB port. So I can connect USB modem to it. There is a RJ11 port which can be connected to the ADSL filter.
    If you look at the link (PC World) you will notice it states the router has a double fire wall?

Q) Will this double firewall conflict with a software firewall and would I need to uninstall the software fireWALL?

Q) Also there are 4 wireless networks that I can see on the laptop 1 has the same router device has the one he has bought, will this conflict with his device/network??

Q) I’m not sure if this router package is the right one for his network, although he was told in store it is a starter package for wireless I can’t help thinking how are we going to connect a USB modem to it?

Q) Can you buy a Router that has an in built modem and is there any difference in speed or security by having router with an inbuilt modem compared to a Router attached to a modem?

Q) The Broad band provider is on a static IP address; therefore does that mean only 1 PC can use the wireless network at 1 time? Can two PC’s share the same IP address??

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. tas121

tas121 Nibble Poster

its pretty straight forward setting it up wireless network as iv got one you will need a access point and a wireless network card

WIP: A+,mcp.mcdst,mcsa
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Wrong unit. If you are *sure* he is on ADSL he needs to take it back and exchange it for an ADSL router/modem/Wifi unit.

You need to use ethernet cables for as many PCs as possible, otherwise performance may be a problem. And don't forget to put encryption on!
    Use ethernet cable, or buy a WiFi USB dongle. You *could* get a Wifi card, but that would mean opening the case.
    This should work as is. Depending on the construction of the house, the performance may vary.
    No.
    Yes - in the sense that the speed will probably suffer with all those networks around. Another reason not to use Wireless. In any case - you can (and should) change the network name (called a SSID).
    You are right - it is the wrong unit. Exchange it.
    Yes and No (respectively). And in the UK getting an Ethernet ADSL modem with no router is quite hard.
    Yes - most routers assume this is the case and will have NAT running. And, unless this is an unusual ADSL account, the IP won't be static - but won't change often. The modem/router will sort that out.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. hbroomhall

Incidently - that is rather expensive these days!

Harry.

5. hbroomhall

I've just realized that this package includes an USB WiFi dongle - which could have been used for machine 1. (If the main router had been suitable!)

Harry.

6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks Harry!:thumbleft:rocks

Just one question and that is what do you mean by the NAT running??:blink

7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

I take it your refferring to the prices on PC world?

Then again I'm not sure if he will be able to get his money back from PC world rather than a straight swap because he's opened the box?:blink

8. hbroomhall

NAT is Network Address Translation.

NAT allows multiple machines to sit on a network behind a single IP address. There are both up and downsides to this - it depends on how they want to use the machines.

These days NAT is the norm for both ADSL and cable connections, and most domestic routers come with it switched on.

On another point - having looked at that PC world page more closely - I see that the description of the unit, and the picture do not match - it isn't the same model. So it is somewhat hard to know the spec for the unit!

Harry.

9. hbroomhall

Should be able to - but it will be quite an argument. The line to take is that you were mis-sold the unit.

If you don't want the argument then get a non-N router/modem/WiFi unit. It will be cheaper.

Harry.

10. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

First thing I notice is that the link goes to a product that allows you to share a CABLE connection. This is different from ADSL....... just a thought.

Personally I don't think that router has any communications device inside, which does trouble me - USB modems are notoriously nasty/flaky (I think greenbrucelee on CF is having troubles with one) and I've had issues in the past also.

To use a USB modem in this way I would have thought it would need to go to a PC directly and then that PC do internet sharing.

Secondly, you mention it has a RJ11 port in the back - seems like this isn't a cable modem (I thought they came with RG9 cables??) but is an ADSL modem - ie, you don't need the USB modem as its built in.

To be devils advocate, I'd suggest returning what he has and get something like this Linky - this is similar to what I have, ADSL modem, wireless and 4 etherner ports - and for £40. Works exactly as it says on the tin.

Personally, I've never used anything more than the firewall on my router and standard XP firewall - some may argue against that but I think adding software firewall can lead to paranoia on the users/admins part...... as long as you watch what you do - should you really be a target??

Not necessarily. All you see is the other networks in the area when the laptop polls to see what is out there. If you can see your network, simply click and attach to that - simple as that. Failing that, there are 11 channels to choose from just ensure that he is using a different one to everyone else.
    I agree. One it says cable and two, well your point. BELKIN B5DUK035 54G ROUTER AND USB ADAPTER KIT
    which is the same as I posted above. Similar to mine, does what you want. Cheaper.
    yes can - I have one. No difference at all. The router and modem are separate inside, so you can have laptop <--> server comms at the same time as PC <--> modem comms and they'll be no obvious decrease.
    [/quote]
    If you use the above mentioned router, the IP address it uses is that of the ISP. Every device that connects to the router is on its own "networked" IP address - something like 192.168.0.10 for example. Your router is the gateway and will in effect have two (ISP: 212.1.1.1 and networked: 192.168.0.1)

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  11. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Harry nailed the techie terms with NAT.... I knew what I meant though :D

12. dominoe

dominoe Nibble Poster

13. hbroomhall

derkit makes a valid point about the RJ11 you mentioned.

Before you go rushing off, can you make sure of the model number of the unit bought?

Your description doesn't match the page you posted, and coupled with the description/picture incompatability on that page I'd feel happier if we could identify the model accurately! :biggrin

Harry.

14. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

A Netgear 834G would do the job here. Also it has a wireless card included.

http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPO-NetGe...L-Modem-Firewall-Router-USB-Adapter~CLT-HSNLF

Make sure the wireless connection is locked down, there is a wireless security section in the router where you can configure this. Dont worry about having a software and a hardware firewall as this is a common config and as already posted NAT will get give all the PCs on the LAN access to the internet. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  15. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

By that do you mean a G-router?

16. hbroomhall

Yes - the machines with WiFi already on-board will most likely not have 'N' (or be compatible if they have - 'N' hasn't been finalized yet I belive and there are reported problems), so G will be a better choice.

And with all those other APs about the performance is going to be poor anyway.

But before you go - check the model of what you have - there are inconsistancies which may invalidate some of my answers.

Harry.

17. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

sounds like one of those disclaimers for special deals.... if you're wearing red, have a missus called Julie and today is Saturday - the deal is off. All in 2pt font in a word document of course :)

18. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

There are different specifications for wireless that dictate the frequencies used (among other things).
    802.11g is now one of the most popular, but new standards are also coming in, such as 802.11n. Whatever router you choose (best to but a router with a built in ASDL modem), you must make sure that it will work with the network cards that are installed on the PC's

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  19. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

There is a link with more information about the router here

It is meant to be attached to an existing adsl router via an ethernet cable and RJ45-type connector - are you sure about it being RJ11? It will certainly not connect to the USB modem.

USB adsl modems are only really designed for access from a single PC, not from a LAN (or WLAN), and so have no other connectors.

For the cost of buying an ethernet adsl modem, you could virtually get a 'g' wireless modem/router - or it may be that his ISP will have a deal available -they are sometimes worth a call.

Your friend will be able to set up a home WLAN using the kit he has bought, but any Internet access would be through ICS via the PC connected to the USB adsl modem (and that can be a real pain to set up and run, but not impossible)

PCWorld sometimes charge a penalty of 10(15?)&#37; if the package is opened, but if he can explain it was mis-sold, and is going to buy another product, they may exchange.

Good luck.

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  20. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh Nooooooooooooooo!!:ohmy

I wish I'd seen that post earlier!:(

I told my mate to take that one back and get a router with a modem in it!

This the one he has got:- N1 Wireless Modem Router

Can you still use a g router to play online games? Because he does play a lot of online gaming like Black hawk down.??

Yep I can confirm the product number checks with the one on the website, so it's the righ one!
    But what i don't understand is how comes you buy the same product cheaper on the web and collect it in store for the same price as shown on the net??

You can select to pick the item up at the store and pay for it there! So a person can buy a product on the shelf cheaper than if someone just goes into the store and then pays £25 extra?? The only difference is one person has a internet code from the net on a piece of paper the other doesn't??
    :blink

Has anyone else bought something from PC world?