Setting up a medium sized network at home!!

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Node, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Node

Node Byte Poster

Hi,

Well i have decided to finally bother setting up my home network properly :) I'v managed to draw a basic outline of it (see attached). But im stuck on one or two things, first of all on setting up the Anti-Virus server, i know Mcafee anti-virus for servers aint bad at all, as it allows the computers on your network to connect directly to your Anti-Virus server and update you also have alot of control, just curious if there are any other anti-virus softwares that would match it. Secound of it not quite sure which operating systems to use :oops:

[​IMG]

1. Domain Controller - Server 2008 x64
    2. File / Anti-Virus server - Server 2003 x64
    3. Web Server / Email Server - Server 2008 x64 / Exchange 2007 x64
    4. Laptop one - Vista Home Premium x64
    5. Laptop Two - Vista Home Premium x64
    6. Work Station - Vista Ultimate x64
    7. Virtual Server - Base operating system will be Server 2008 X64 - Virtual Server One will be running Linux and i would have Nagios ( Nagios is a host and service monitor http://www.nagios.com ) and Virtual Server Two, will be running an IDS, most likely Snort.

Please advice on the setup, any input would be much obliged :biggrin:biggrin:biggrin

Certifications: MCSA, MCSE,
  2. Donmac

Donmac Bit Poster

I know that CA ETrust Inoculate 6/7 (Anti Virus) works in a similar way. Server downloads updates at set time(s) then clients connect and download approved updates.

Cheers
    Donmac

Certifications: a few
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Ex2k7, Win2k8
  3. Node

Node Byte Poster

Thank you, ill have a look at that tonight :) Do you think theres anyway i can improve my network?

4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

A vote for NOD32 here. their remote manager is very granular.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi Mate,

Hate to burst your title mate, but a medium size network is approx between 200 to 400 clients. Small companies with up to 75 users use SBS 2k3 (50 for SBS 2k), and in my opinion your set-up is a bit overkill with 5 servers for 3 clients.

Apart from that Panda AV (corporate ed) is actually quite good. And it seems that you've already decided on your OS for all your machines. If you're going to simulate a corporate environment, then maybe also include a WSUS server. I also take it that only the workstation will be connecting to the domain as the two laptops are home edition and will not join a domain (workgroup only).

Good luck with your set-up (& studies?).

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. Node

Node Byte Poster

Thanks for your input, Yes i know the setup is a bit too much for home enviroment but im hoping to do my MCSE 2008, MS Exchange 2007 and couple of other certs. oops i just thought this was a medium sized network for home :P, i was thinking of implementing WSUS on the antivirus/file server, but need to think of the setup. Yes the two laptops will only be using the wireless, whats your input on the setup? Could be improved?

7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

In terms of improving your current setup, it would make sense to change the vista home edition on both laptops to win xp pro. The reason being you can then add these to the domain, as home version of Microsoft operating system can only be joined to a workgroup and not a domain. Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  8. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

I'm just gonna comment i'm impressed you can be bothered to set all that up when a simple netgear router/wireless and a workgroup would be fine.

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  9. Node

Node Byte Poster

I wish i could :( but unfortunatley the laptops only support vista, no drivers for any other operating systems. Iv got HP to thank for that, but i will upgrade them to vista business or ultimate as soon as i get my christmass bonus!

10. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Ooo looks a bit like my home network, although everything is now virtualised on my ESX clusters now, everything except ISA2006

Cant wait for the new TS Gateway and Web based TS in 2008 to really give me some powerful remote access options!

Nice set up mate, of course its overkill for home, but were geeks am i right?

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  11. Node

Node Byte Poster

Hehehehe its about learning! Want your MCSE? Start experimenting.

12. Node

Node Byte Poster

The new TS should be good mate, thanks for the input, exactly were all geeks heheheh besides i cant see how people can learn without having the setup infront of them... in my opinion just reading from a text book is not good enough, need some hands on approach to it, helps you understand more/explore.

13. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Agreed and QFT = quoted for truth:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  14. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

if you plan on actually buying all those systems, have a look at a decent VM rig and virtualise them all, no need having physical boxes for all that lark any more

15. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Stick Virtual PC 2007 onto the Vista clients, then install XP Pro as VM's and bridge to the physical network card. Vista will complain that the OS isn't a compatible one. Ignore it and it will install anyway.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  16. Node

Node Byte Poster

Well i tried that before didnt work well, got a p4 3ghz dual core 1gb ddr2 machine and install VM-Ware with two different operating systems, and guess what... SLOW AS HELL!

Base was Vista Ultimate

OS One - Windows XP
    OS Two - Server 2008

it wouldnt even let me run the secound operating system.

17. Kitkatninja

Hey Mate,

There is no more MCSE or MCSA for 2008. There is the MCITP: Enterprise Admin and the MCITP: Server Admin. Also see ther requirements for it:

And that's just for the exams that are out *please be aware that not all exams are available for the MCITP: EA yet.

Plus I would also add to that: "knowledge and experience in a muti-domain environment".

Work and practice on both core and full versions of the server also. Have at least 2 exchange servers (back-end) as well as a front-end exchange server. Create a perimeter network to put your webserver and front-end exchange server, you may also wish to play around with ISA.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  18. Kitkatninja

You need a hell of alot more ram.

I have 2 gb of ram in my pc and I can run 3 VPC's (1 2003 server and 2 XP clients) and they run slow, remember Server 2008 needs more ram than a 2003 server.

Ram requirements for 2008:

Minimum: 512MB RAM
    Recommended: 2GB RAM or greater
    Optimal: 2GB RAM (Full installation) or 1GB RAM (Server Core installation) or more

-Ken

19. Node

Node Byte Poster

And can you run them all at the same time? Hows the uptime?

20. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

RAM is CHEAP AS shite at the moment
    buy it by the bucket load

I have 4GB in most of my systems now
    looking to get 8GB for my ESX Servers
    4GB can be had for < 100 quid at the moment on some of the value ram packs

with 4GB on Vista business x64 I can run about 6 VMs permenantly without noticing performance degredation, even running games