Services...Please assist

Discussion in 'Software' started by IThurts, Apr 15, 2008.

1. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Howdy neighbours,

I am having a problem, which i feel is network related.Searched all over the net and cannot find a resolution.

Particular services of mine are not starting...they are : WebClient, Computer Browser, and WORKSTATION, all of which are set to automatic and should be started no?

Few things to note:
    --Webclient says "starting" , but does not start

--I feel Workstation is the key to get up and running, and the others will follow as the others "depend" on the workstation, the workstation has no dependancies afaik.

--When clicking on "computers in workgroup" under "my network places", it does nothing, just gives a windows beep and nothing opens, not even a blank window.

--My IP address has changed. I had to remove and reinsert my network card a while back, and since then i have had a new IP address assigned to my PC. Not sure if thats relevant, thought id mention.

--I have tried the "Client for MS Networks" and reinstalling the client, however when performing/pressing the "install" button i receive the error "Windows cannot find the drivers for this device"...which friggin driver does it need? I have tried the XP disc...no luck.

Please can someone help me. Thanks.

Certifications: BTEC national Diploma Computer Studies
    WIP: See Sig
  2. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Whats the Service control manager saying in the event viewer when you try and start the WORKSTATION service? Control Panel -> Admin Tools -> Event Viewer and then click system events double click the Service Control Manager Events and see what they are telling you

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  3. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

ID 3113 - "initialisation failed because the requested service could not be started"

There are others also:
    ID 7024: Workstation terminated with specific error 2250 (0x8CA)
    ID 7001:The computer browser service depends on the WORKSTATION service which failed to start because of the following error: The service has returned a service specfic error code

4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

have you tried googling those errors? seeing if any information is available to hint at the cause?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

:eek: ....im googled out right now. I have been looking for the past 3 days about it..cant find a definitive resolution:cry:

6. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

7. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

8. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

chill ITHurts, if 1 post isn't going to well dont spill it into others

9. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

sorry:oops:

10. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Could the fact that i had disabled mup.sys have anything to do with my issue with workstation not starting? (wild shot in the dark?)

11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Have you tried a repair install of the OS? Sounds like you are having a few problems just now. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Love it bud, even on your Birthday you cant switch off :biggrin

13. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Firstly, HAppy Birthday sparko...havent been here long but you've been great help over the past few weeks. Best wishes mate.

In re to my issue..twas indeed the mup.sys file i had disabled. Copied it from my lappy and BLAM, service controller errors are gone.

I guess just by talking out loud it helps somewhat eh?

Cheers for your help though Thomas/Sparky.

14. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

wow, you have been posting a lot recently. SOunds like you need to back up all your necessaries and do a clean install.
    Starting from scratch maybe the best thing for your computer, and you'll learn as you go :)

why do you need to access My NEtwork Places anyway? Are you in a workgroup with other PCs? Are you in a domain?
    Try renaming the workgroup you are in and restart your PC? If you are in a domain, disjoin from it, reboot and rejoin.

If those dont work try
    1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Double-click the Services icon.
    3. In the list of installed services, click Computer Browser.
    4. Click Startup.
    5. Change the Startup Type to Manual, and then click OK.
    6. In the list of installed services, click Server, and then click Startup.
    7. Change the Startup Type to Manual, and then click OK.
    8. Click Close.
    9. Restart your computer.

mup.sys problems should be resolvable.. however,
    The main reasons for this Windows XP or Win 2000 boot hang or alleged mup.sys issue are:

* Hard disk failure or corruption
    * A corrupted registry or registry hive
    * New hardware has been installed but not did not completely "Register or re-Register" correctly
    * New hardware has been installed but it is faulty or failing
    * The new hardware's driver or windows itself has been compromised (Disk data corruption or by a virus) or (rare) needs to be updated
    * The power supply is marginal in output or failing (Common per user feedback)
    * BIOS\ESCD\Motherboard chipset driver conflict with a component, its driver, or its registry data
    * Existing hardware including the motherboard may have failed in a specific way but not catastrophically.

which kind of brings us back to my original point of; with all the time you are spending trying to resolve these niggling issues you could of backed up, reinstalled and reconfigured a new hard drive many times over... it may be time to just bite the bullet and get it done
    best of luck

15. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Glad everything is sorted now mate 8)

Just a couple of beers for the bday celebrations today, big installation tomorrow and dont want to be hungover. :biggrin

Bring on the weekend.... :alc

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs