Service Desk Analyst

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Kopite_21, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Hi Guys,

I've registered with a Recruitment Agency in the Channel Isles and they have found a position that may be of interest to me. With me studying for my CompTia A+ at the moment I was just wondering what you guys think. As I have not worked in IT since I was at College could this be the big step into the IT Industry?

Job Description For: Service Desk Analyst

Job Title: Service Desk Analyst
    Reports To: IST Service Desk Team Leader
    Department: Information Systems and Technology

Summary

The Information Systems and Technology department’s mission is “Profitability through Technology”. It achieves this by providing and supporting productivity tools to State Street Fee Earners and by developing world-leading revenue earning software products. This role requires the individual to proactively respond to call placed with the IST Service Desk. Individual must be customer focused being responsible for providing high quality user support & effective service to all offices and external clients. Team player who is customer focused and able to work effectively under pressure. Proactively manage inventories & documentation.

Essential Duties and Responsibilities

· Required to work under an objective management environment

· Provide a service, logging customers incidents and requests, resolving where possible otherwise escalating faults to 3rd Line Support Groups in accordance with defined procedures

· Utilise the capabilities of Touchpaper system, defining incidents or requests in enough detail in order to provide other teams with the information to resolve calls without further assistance.

· Adhere to IST Service Desk Best Practices in order to improve customer's perception of services provided whilst aiding the smooth running of the IST Service Desk Team

· Liaise with suppliers to action repairs or replacement of equipment

· Assist with the New Starter/Leaver and Transfer process in accordance with procedures.

· Undertake administration tasks on the network, servers, telephony and voicemail systems

· Ensure software loaded onto workstations & laptops is in compliance with Corporate Policy and within approved license count

· Ability to work in a hands-on capacity in order to liaise with customers to resolve problems reported to IST Service Desk exploiting remote control facilities where appropriate

· Work shifts over the period 07:00 until 19:00

· Flexible attitude towards work; working additional hours in evenings or over weekends at short notice to meet business needs

In addition to the duties listed above, the Service Desk Analyst may be requested to perform any other ad hoc duties or projects as requested by the IST Service Desk Manager.

Technical Knowledge / Skills Required

· Minimum of 2- 3 years experience working in a team supporting PC Users and System Administration within a Helpdesk / Desktop environment

· Strong problem solving skills including effective investigative techniques

· Exceptional communication, interpersonal and Customer Service skills

· A good team worker, shares knowledge, uses initiative and is self motivated

· Confident and able to work well within a stressful and dynamic environment

· Knowledge of Automated Call Distribution

· Experience with Call Tracking Systems preferably Touchpaper (although not essential)

· Knowledge of Windows XP, Microsoft Exchange / Outlook / Microsoft 2000 / 2003 Office Products / Citrix Administration / Systems Management Server ( SMS), Active Directory, Blackberry handsets

· Knowledge of telephony support and administration.

· Experience of supporting Applications within a Microsoft environment, Document Management System (iManage/Worksite)

· A good knowledge of hardware configuration, including PCs, laptops, printers and Communications equipment
    · Experience with supporting Blackberry devices

· Able to write high quality end user and technical documentation

· Ability to accept responsibility for the ownership of a task and see it through to completion

Minimum Education / Qualifications

To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty to a high standard. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable adjustments may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.

Ideally educated to A Level standard or equivalent.

Previous Experience

Minimum 2 years experience working in a busy IT team supporting PC Users and System Administration within an IT Service Desk/Desktop environment (Legal, or Financial Services corporate environment).

Hands-on experience of hardware configuration (PCs, Laptops, Printers).

Management / Supervisory Responsibilities

This job has no supervisory responsibilities.

Work Environment

The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable adjustments may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.

The noise level in the environment is moderate.

Physical Demands

The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable adjustments may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I'd give it a go as job spec looks like a nice role for someone starting out in IT. Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

Wrong the specification states 2-3 year IT experience required, not for someone starting out.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  4. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I'd agree with DFG its not for starting out in IT. Its asking for knowledge of citrix, servers, AD etc as well as 2 years previous experience.

The Job description calls for things most poeple starting out in IT wont have yet had experience in. Looking at it i'd say its more of a 2nd line role than 1st (which is what you should be looking for starting out).

However, as the old adage goes, theres no harm in trying. A wisely worded CV and application letter could still secure you an interview, which even if you dont get the job, would be experience in applying for jobs and the interviewing situation.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  5. alicat

alicat Nibble Poster

I would also agree with DFG, in previous roles of mine Service Desk Analyst was a second line role, Service Desk Operator was a first Line position.

It would still be worth applying as Twizzle says though. Good luck.

Certifications: BA, ISEB Software Testing, N+, MCP
    WIP: 70-646
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Agreed on all counts. Although it's not an entry-level job, you are assured of not getting ANY of the jobs you don't apply for.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Kopite_21

Hi guys,

I sent an e-mail back to the Recruitment Agency and explained to them I don't think the role they offered me was quite right. It was way to expeienced for me at this time, but they have offered me another role for an off-shore bank which I find off intesest IT Administrator.

I have done some admin work a couple of years a go at another bank that involved IT/Admin in the same role.

Just wondering if you could look at the Job Description and ask what you think?

Kind Regards

Rob

8. Kopite_21

Sorry forgot to attach Job Description!

Attached Files:

9. mcbro

mcbro Byte Poster

Hi Kopite

It seems a very admin based role so you might not get much technical experience straight away. Saying that it is within an IT department and it could be a good chance to get your foot in the door. If your not in IT at the moment id say go for it.

Certifications: MCITP:EA, CCNA