Wanted Server

Discussion in 'Sales and Swaps' started by twizzle, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

We're looking for a replacemnet 2nd hand server. Its got to be better than a Proliant DL360 running 2 18Gb Scsi drives and 512mb memory. Preferably be rack mount but we could settle for a desktop style. Needs to be dirt cheap.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

How much roughly?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

What Gen does it have to be, I have a number of machines in my garage that may assist you (and won't cost the earth).

All should come with the iLO license and full rack mounting kit (I decommissioned an Investment Banks comms room and was told to get rid of the servers).

CPU wise they are going to be the older Xeons, ram wise they will have between 2 - 16gb (my 570 is the one with 16gb), all have either 18, 36 or 72gb SCSI drives.

I am looking for 50quid up depending on spec.

Let me know (oh and I am in Colchester).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

dirt cheap means less than a ton an half, the lower the better.

Simon, A Older Xeon would be fine so long as its 2gb or above and has more than 30gb hdd in total. We're looking at it running W2003 server and a few apps etc.

5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I will dig something out over the weekend and let you know specs', it will definitely have more than 2gb and 30gb hdd. I could even deliver (for a small donation to fuel).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Good to see CF members helping each other out ! :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  7. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Si, it'd be great if you can look and let me know. I have to see if teh MD would agree to a price for you then. Our old server just isnt up to the job but as usual, the company dont want to pay out for a new one. They'd possibly be ok to collect or meet part way.

8. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Simon, did you get any chance to have a look? if not, no rush, i dont think thier in desperate want of spending any money at the mo.

9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I did indeed mate, I have a couple of machines here with either 1 or 2 cpus, ranging from 2 - 8gb of ram and disks from either 18 - 72gb in size. Just tell me the spec you want and I will price it up accordingly.

10. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Thanks Simon,

I think the minimum we need is 1cpu running 2Gb with at least 50Gb HDD space. We're only planning on running Server 2003 SMB with Sage Act and a few otehr apps on it, nothing too fancy for now.

If you can price one up for us thast close to this that be good. I'll let the MD know, but as i said they not easy to part from thier cash so it may or may not go ahead. for our MD read "i will give up these monies when you pise them from my cold dead fingers!" lol

11. richie9648

richie9648 New Member

Yeah I am selling one but cant get anyone to approve my new topic as yet!!

12. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Just seen this.

I've got an Etch-A-Sketch with better specs than that! :biggrin

Unfortunately, as you're probably finding Twiz, the postage on a server is so much - and they're such a pain in the arse to pack, most people just skip 'em when finished. We did it yesterday with five crummy old Poweredge's (Dell FTAL) that all had moody perc controllers.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  13. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Yeah i know its a crummy spec'd server. Its not even setup properly but he boss cant be arsed with it too much! At the moment it runs as our exchange server and thats it, it does its job so as far as teh compnay is cancerned it was ok. Now we need it to run more apps and its just not up to it.

The boss was willing to travel if we could get one withing about 150 miles that was decent and not too bad a cost. Now however, i think they've changed thier minds again and spending money elsewhere, where i feel its less needed. Ah well, such is life!

14. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

The server is still available and considering I am working in Norwich atm would be even easier to deliver\collect.

15. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Thanks Simon but as i said, the company has decided to spend money elsewhere. They'll probably start moaning about the server again at a later date and look at getting one then. And then change thier minds again. As usual, when moneys tight the company IT suffers while over ares get money spent on them.

16. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Of course thats normal, just give me a shout when\if you want it.