Server Virus Software

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by brent, Sep 5, 2003.

1. brent

brent Nibble Poster

Hi all, Can anyone give me advise on some win2k and nt4 server virus software.

Cheers.
    :whatthink

2. brent

brent Nibble Poster

BUMP!!!

3. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Hi Brent,

Sorry, only just noticed your post :) What situation is/are the Server/s in, is it a production environment or your home network? Will they be running Exchange or other email software?

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  4. brent

brent Nibble Poster

At work, One win2K server and one NT4 server. Only used as file servers on two seperate networks.

Thanks

5. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

All the major anti-virus makers provide software for all operating systems, including server platforms. Professionally at work we use McAfee. If you ask 10 people about AV software you will (most likely) get 10 different answers!!

I would say you need to find something that fits your budget, provides DAT updates on a regular basis and offers good support. I would recommend McAfee, we never have a problem with it at work. I also know people who swear by Kaspersky.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  6. brent

brent Nibble Poster

Reason I ask is some IT boff is trying to sell us Norton Anti Virus Server but I wondered if we needed such powerfull software??

Phil, what do you think?

7. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

I personally think it depends on what the server is running. If all the clients have AV software that is running and updated frequently and the server id file and print then probably not. If it's running Excahnge or any other mail server software then it is always a good idea to "sweep" all incomming messages for viruses, does noton have an exchange agent?

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  8. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

I'd agree with Luton, everybody has their own personal preferences. We use Sophos for everything with the Enterprise manager updating all PC's and servers as soon as a new virus defenition is released. It seems to work, touch wood.

I was going to say if it was for a home lab you'd probably get away with putting a freebie like AVG on, works for me. However seeing as it's for a production environment I'd pay for the proper tools to do the job, after all how much is the data worth and how much would it cost to repair the damage done by not getting a product thats up to the job.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade