Problem Server Storage

Discussion in 'Software' started by MrNice, Jul 16, 2010.

1. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Hi,

I have an SBS 2008 server that is configured with a C and D partition. There are two Hyper V server images on the D drive and its critically low on space. I have added an additional HDD and now need to utilise it as additional storage on D. As the existing disk is basic the only option to do this is back up D, delete D and then recreate it allocating the new drive as space as well? As far as I am aware even if I converted the disk to dynamic I would not be able to add the new space to the volume as it was not created as a dynamic volume. If I do this is it worth converting to dynamic disk before I recreate D so I can add space if needed in future?

Is this correct? Anyone see any obvious pitfalls? The Server images are used, one is SQL server and the other is a print server. The D drive is also configured as the data partition but there is not much actual data. It's a showroom environment so its not critical but it is still rather important.

Any advice gratefully received.

2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

not having used hyper-v im not too sure of its foibles. could you not just move one of the vm's onto the new disk. each vm would then have its own physical disk to play with.

i really must have a play with h-v.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the reply,

As the system has a C, D & E (recovery) partition it wont allow me to create another as the limit has been reached.

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Stick another hard drive in and extend the RAID 5 containter?

If not stick in two hard drives, create a mirror, and move the VMs onto that.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Hey Sparky, not talked to you in years :eek:

How ya been good?

I am can only really work with what I have, no more $ upgrading.

The extend option is greyed out, even though the unallocated space on the new drive is to the right of the D partition. I just want to confirm if I back up the entire contents of D inc the two virtual images onto a USB HDD, delete it and then recreate it and load everything back on it will work again as normal?

Should I use the windows back up utility, just simply copy the root of D or use 3rd party software?

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

…yeah I’m doing ok. 8)

Yup, if you backup to USB (the .vhd and config files), delete D: and then create a new partition in the free space you should be fine with the virtuals.

If you want to test this you could run the VMs off the USB drive (will run slow though) before you delete everything.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs