Server Side Databases

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by Twiggy, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Twiggy

Twiggy Bit Poster

Hi all - gosh it's been a while since I posted on here!

I wonder if I can ask for some advice/help? I'm currently in the middle of doing a HNC in Computing (online study) and my current assignment is on website design.

I had been commisioned to build a site for someone already, which I am using for my assignment and can be viewed here if anyone is interested. (A cheap job as they knew I'd welcome the opportunity to build my first website!). I've completed all the assignment requirements except the one shown below for which we have had very little or no tuition on what kind of things can be done, or how to go about doing it.

The use of Server Side scripts will be in evidence to facilitate an interactive application on the website. The application will be linked to a server side database.

Having done a little research, I gather a contact form or similar will probably be the best thing to do (it's a php script running on that page at the moment). Really I just wondered if anyone had any ideas or suggestions as to what I could do to fullfil this requirement, or where I could look for instruction on how to implement a server side database?

Thanks, Hayley

(p.s. for those of you who do take a peek and are viewing the site from a pc, as opposed to a laptop, I am aware that there are some alignment issues on a couple of the pages and am planning on fixing that as soon as I get the chance!).

Certifications: ECDL BCS1, NCFE Networking Essentials
    WIP: HNC in Computing
  2. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Hi Hayley

Thats a really nice website. Alignment looks fine to me, using Safari 4 on Mac OS.

You said you can use a PHP script to create a contact form. PHP can work quite well with MySQL, depending on where your site is hosted, and how much access you have. It may be that MySQL is already installed, and the hosts have a browser based front end to manipulate it. I created a quick, not brilliant design-wise site using PHP and MySQL, which I'd be more than happy to share the code with you. The site can be seen here.

For learning PHP, try this site. It includes a section on database connectivity.

Best of luck with the assignment.

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  3. Twiggy

Twiggy Bit Poster

Hi Maria

Thanks for your comments, and the information, I'll check out the links later this evening when I'm back home.

Good to know it works well with Safari. So far as I know, the alignment problems only occur with IE6, I know this isn't a huge issue as most people would be on later versions, but I work for the NHS and know that all NHS computers will still be using IE6 for the forseeable future due to software requirements, and the Pharmacy will want to reach those in the medical profession, as much as the general public.

My host does have MySQL, and I have been given some examples of PHP coding etc for use with a server side database, we've just not been given any information on how to go about setting it up with the host, and as yet I've not done much investigation. I'm planning to sit down with a highlighter tonight and work out what all the different bits of code are doing within the examples we've got!

I see you've done the HND in computing - was it a good thing to have done? I'm just doing the HNC for now mostly to satisfy a personal desire to advance my knowledge, rather than a professional need. I had always intended to do the HND after, but the online course I'm doing has been fairly poorly organised so far which has deterred me somewhat!

Thanks, Hayley

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yeah, I would try and code the site to work on IE6 as many businesses are still using Windows 2000 which doesn't support IE7and above.

Look great on IE8 btw. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. LordMoolyBap

LordMoolyBap Nibble Poster

Just in case you are interested there are some ASP.NET tutorials here as well. I found getting up and running with asp.net much easier but that is personal preference and because my HNC/D was in VB.NET.

www.asp.net

Follow the video tutorials if you're interested anyway.

Hope this helps,

Dom

Certifications: HND (Comp) MBCS
    WIP: Msc Intelligent Systems
  6. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Hi

Yep CSS and IE - a match made in hell. Unfortunately, as mentioned, IE 6 is still well used. The site I linked to has serious CSS float issues in IE6, which I just haven't had the time to sort out.

The HND - I did enjoy it, and personally, having a HND and no Industry certs, I am biased, I felt was very worthwhile. As I work in Support and network administration, there is very little that I learnt that could be directly applied to my role, but I think that some of the problem solving skills, and the having to learn new subjects very quickly, has helped me progress. I done the HND before I worked in IT, and it was as much about personal achievement and stretching myself, as well as getting out again after being a stay at home mum, as it was about carving out a career. It all depends on what area of IT you work in, or intend to work in.

Who are you studying with? I done the HND full time, but I'm looking to transfer the HND to a Bsc(Hons) through the Open University, and having spoke to a few people who have studied through them, it looks pretty good. It could be worth considering, as they offer credit transfer so you could use the HNC as credit against a full degree.

Certifications: HND Computing
  7. Twiggy

Twiggy Bit Poster

Hi again

I've actually avoided all college work for the last week hence my delayed response! Back on the bandwagon from tomorrow onwards though lol.

Ironically I'm doing the online course through a local college (about 1/2hr drive from home). I wasn't specifically looking for a HNC but I was looking for an affordable way to obtain some IT quals, without losing time off work as well as having to pay for the course, and this was the best I could find at the time.

My current role at work is as an IT/Data Administrator, so no real IT experience or quals required, just an ability to fix minor problems, clear print jams etc. So like you I doubt I will learn anything I can really apply to my current place of work, however, it never hurts to know a little more about the tools you work with, and I've always hated having big gaping holes in my IT knowledge.

The HNC I'm doing is 2 years long on a part time basis of an expected 15hrs of study a week, and I'm in my first year. Whether I pursue the HND (which would entail an additional 3rd year of study) will depend on 2 things. 1 is whether Bridgwater College get their acts together for our 2nd year and make it a more enjoyable experience than this 1st year has been, and the other is whether or not my boyfriend pursues the Bsc(Hons) after he finishes his foundation degree in computing (he's also in his 1st of 2 years). He wants to go into teaching though so he'll at least need to do his pgce, so on that basis, I probably will end up doing the HND.

If I end up considering the OU option for a Bsc(Hons) I'll tap you up for more info if you go ahead with yours! :wink: