Server setup questions

Discussion in 'Networks' started by datarunner, Mar 20, 2007.

1. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

Hi All

Dunno if this is the appropriate forum for this and i apologise in advance if its not.

At college we have been given a mock project to setup a small network with a server(s) with 12 clients. The company is hosting its own website in house.

My questions are?

Which would be the best server setup scenario?
    A. 2 identical servers with RAID 5 and backup facility with 1 acting as a failover

B. If both are identical and one is acting as a failover, can it do other functions in the meantime instead of just sitting there

C. 1 quite well speced server and 1 less speced server doing the hosting

D. If option C above can the less speced server take over networking functions like DHCP, DNS etc if the main server fails, and can the less speced server backup to the main one.

Confusing i know but any help would be appreciated

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 210, 270, HNC Networking
    WIP: MCSA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Not confusing at all... but shouldn't you know the answers to these questions from what you've learned in the course?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Install SBS! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

We have only just started server 2003 in a stand alone (typical first server) environment and there seems a few options here.

5. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

Whats your reason for this?

6. Sparky

Cost.

I would find it very difficult to sell more than one server to a company that only had 12 clients. SBS can support up to 60 (approx) clients.

SBS supports all the roles you have highlighted and if you spec the server with a hardware RAID 5 then that should be all you need.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  7. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

OK. Sounds good but the company is hosting its own website selling IT products to the public. So am i right in saying that if the server goes down, and we only have one, then they lose the website and the local network therefore becoming totally non productive.

We really dont wanna lose that website or the lan. Hence my enquiries on a 2nd server setup.

Keep it coming guys

8. Gary B

Gary B Nibble Poster

It depends how much redundancy they want, if there were a hardware failure other than a drive then the entire network would be down.

Depending how important the networks and it's functions are to the business will clearly decide this. I wouldn't want all my employees twiddling their fingers for possibly a day or more and I wouldn't want my website to be offline either

I'd go for the two identical, they both have to be capable of running all services should the need arise to failover

With 12 clients and a webserver they don't need to be too high spec either to break the bank

Certifications: MCSA 2003
    WIP: You tell me
  9. Sparky

How much traffic is the website getting?

If it is getting bombarded with hits then you are talking leased lines. When it gets to this level it may be a better option to outsource the webhosting.

What are doing about email? No mention of this so far.

10. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

For the project we have to assume that the website is popular and that the appropriate WAN connection is already in place. These items we can ignore as they are not required for the project. We can just start with the servers. And outsourcing the webhosting is not an option.

As for email it states that all staff should have internal/external email access

11. Sparky

Ok, you need more that two servers then.

Load balance two webservers (in a DMZ) and then you will have to configure servers for your LAN,I would say a SBS server would do nicely, but if not you would need a DC and a Mail Server at least.

Expensive! :biggrin

12. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

That the only option? We dont wanna get too complicated here.

13. Sparky

There are several options here but not much to work with.

You need the following in your LAN:
    Domain controller (also hosting DHCP)
    Mail Server
    File Server

You would be best to buy SBS to do this. I support 30 odd small business networks and the physical spec of the servers are high for fault tolerance. They have RAID 5 and also backup PSUs. None of the servers have ever gone down for more than hour over the past 2 years.

For Your Web Server:
    The technologies used for the website can influence your options here. If you have a basic website then you can have a load balanced cluster (you would need at least two servers for this not including the SBS) however if your website has an online shop (say SQL based) then load balancing isn’t an option for the *whole* hosting setup.

Probably best to install the website on one high spec server with RAID 5, backup PSU and more than one NIC. 8)

14. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

So 1 high speced server with most if not all points of failure covered.

15. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

OK

Here is my proposed spec. Let me know what you think and thanks for your help on this. Its much appreciated.

PowerEdge SC1430
    2 X Dual Core Intel® Xeon® 5110, 4MB Cache, 1.60GHz, 1066MHZ FSB
    4GB FB 533MHz Memory (4x1GB dual rank DIMMs)
    PERC 5/i Integrated RAID Controller Card
    C7 Add-in SATA/SAS HW Raid 5, using the PERC5i controller, 3 Hard Drives
    4 X 250GB, SATA, 3.5-inch, 7.200 rpm Hard Drive
    PV100T 36/72GB Dat72 Int TBU with 39320A Controller and cable
    5 x DAT72 TBU Media Cartridges, Dell-branded
    56K Internal Modem, Conexant, Unleaded
    Broadcom NetXtreme 5721 Single Port Gigabit Ethernet Teaming NIC, Cu, PCIe x1
    APC Smart-UPS 750i, 480 Watt, Tower Mount
    Microsoft Windows Small Business Server R2 2003, Standard Edition with 5 Client Licenses - English
    European - Microsoft Small Business Server 2003, Additional 20 CALs

£3757 EX VAT

Budget is £10k with still 12 PCs and 5 printers plus any network kit still to get

16. Sparky

Seems ok, I prefer SCSI RAID though (old school!) with its own controller card. Do you have enough ££ for the rest of the network? Remember you need another server. Also does that spec cover backup software as well? You can use Windows backup (free) but it doesnt have as much functionality as other backup software. 8)

17. Gary B

Gary B Nibble Poster

I guess it all depends on whether this is a business critical server which I would guess it was and in which case I'd always personally prefer the option to failover

18. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

Why do I need another server? I thought creating one with full fault tolerance would be enough. I have found another, cheaper, better server with 2 of everything including a redundant PSU for £3525. Say another £500 for my 5 printers leaves me £6000 for my 12 PCs, a switch(s) any any cabling.

What do you think?

19. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

New server spec:

Dual Intel 5030 (DC2.67GHz) 667MHz 2x2MB Cache Xeon Processor (Active)
    Intel S5000VSASATA Dual Xeon Server Mainboard with integrated LAN
    Integrated On-Board 16MB ATI Video Controller
    4GB FBD 667MHz ECC Memory
    Pedestal Pilot Point IV Chassis with Redundant 1+1 650W PSU
    Fixed 5.25" Bay 1 - Black DVD-ROM Drive
    Sony AIT-E Turbo (20/50GB) ATAPI Tape Drive
    Host RAID 5 enabling key for Intel S5000VSA platforms
    Additional 6 HDD SATA Hot Swap Container
    No Floppy Drive Included
    Hard Drive Bay 1 - 160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive
    Hard Drive Bay 2 - 160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive
    Hard Drive Bay 3 - 160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive
    Hard Drive Bay 4 - 160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive
    Hard Drive Bay 5 - No Hard Disk
    Hard Drive Bay 6 - No Hard Disk
    Integrated 2x Intel PRO/1000 Server Adapter
    Microsoft Small Business Server 2003 Premium Edition inc 5 CAL's
    Microsoft Small Business Server Operating System Installed
    US Robotics 56k V.92 USB Fax Modem
    Microsoft Black Keyboard (PS/2)
    Microsoft Black Optical Mouse (USB)
    3 Years On Site Maintenance Warranty with Next Business Day Callout

With SBS Server 2003 Premium Edition (Exchange, ISA and SQL included I think) with additional 20 CALs

20. Gary B

Gary B Nibble Poster

I bet your server doesn't have 2 mainboards?

How important is it that this box is up and running 24/7

Would the company be carrying out servicing and carrying onsite spares such as a mobo or are you going to include a 4hour response service 24/7

I guess you can go to extremes with ensuring redundancy, business continuity and disaster recovery precautions.