server/exchange experience

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Honda, May 28, 2013.

1. Honda

Honda Bit Poster

Hi, i'm finding it difficult to get into new roles as i don't have commercial experience of server, exchange and active directory, i'm installing virtual machine so i can run these and practice with them at home so i could at least put this in covering letter for these vacancies and demonstrate the skills with an employer if i have to, what are the basic skills i should learn to do in these/be able to demonstrate, i have used server and active directory before in uni but it was a while ago.

2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

What roles are you actually applying for? And what commercial experience do you have? Tinkering at home will only get you a short way, career ladder-wise before it needs to translate in to real-world experience.

If you've not had a 2nd Line role, or a job where you've had hands-on server work as part of your role, you'll find it hard to even get a foot in the door for an interview. Uni or home experience mean little to nothing when you've got experienced pros all competing for the same jobs.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. Honda

Honda Bit Poster

iv got years of 1st line support experience but its call centre based with telecoms companies, iv been looking into 1st line support analyst roles, iv got the experience in hardware and supporting operating systems its just the server and active directory experience that these roles ask for i dont have

4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

The kind of FL experience you're getting doesn't sound like it's going to help progression wise. If there's no opportunity for you to move sideways and get yourself some server support experience (and I'm guessing with a telecoms company this is unlikely) then you probably need to look for a different first line role. Or perhaps a blended 1st / 2nd line role with a smaller business, which should afford you the opportunity to grow your skillset in a commercial environment.

You could perhaps pursue the MCSA but without the real-world experience the certs are pretty much toilet paper.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA