Server connecting to the Internet

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Fergal1982, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

i have a program which has two components, a server and a client. the server portion i intend to run on my winserv2k3 machine, but in order to work properly it needs to register itself onto a global meta server listing (well, technically you dont need to, but to work as i want it to you do). This server is not currently running as a webserver, and checked the meta server cache file it lists a URL. Now i know from experience that 2k3 doesnt allow you to browse to internet pages (not by default anyway) - having learned from trying to download the program in the first place.

Can anyone advise me how i can open this up so that the server can communicate with this specific URL?

Thanks
    Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Fergal1982

Theres a related issue to this actually. Im having problems with this program accepting connections from outside the network. With an internal connection it runs no problem, but external connections report an error stating:
    Exception: recvMsg(): unpack str size does not match format

which, according to one of the guys who develops for this app (its open source) indicates that the packet is being modified somewhere between him and the server program.

I loaded this up on my laptop (running xp pro) and it allowed connections without a problem, so it looks like something on the server is causing problems. does anyone know what would be doing this? and how to correct it?

Thanks
    Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  3. Fergal1982

curses. i suspect that this is a deeper problem than just this program. i dont even think that the microsoft updater is reaching the internet (i know for definate i cant reach update.microsoft.com). i reckon ive screwed a setting on the server which is causing problems (although weirdly i can access the internet from the laptop and desktop machines).

Just to let you know: this server is currently running as:
    Application Server
    DHCP
    DNS
    DC
    i believe thats about it really.

Any suggestions on what ive done wrong?

4. Fergal1982

.....................:blink :eek:
    *cough*

all that pissing around. all those problems. resolved in one swift movement. The fix? going into the servers TCP/IP settings on the LAN connection and setting the default gateway from nothing at all, to the router.

sigh
    Fergal (ID-10-T)

5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The good thing to come out of that is that you will remember it!

There is nothing like experience for teaching! :biggrin

And most of us can say we have done something similar.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Well said 8)

A few things I try when its a potential connectivity issue.

1) Ping Google.com no joy? then
    2) Ping Googles I.P address if it works then DNS may be gubbed if not...
    3) Ping the gateway. no response?
    4) Tracert to the gateway

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs