Server build & learning advice needed

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Arron, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Arron

Arron Bit Poster

Hi all,

I havent visted for a while. I quick recap on my current situation. Finished my degree last year (network management & security, linux based). Started first IT job january this year as an administrator (windows based), small business, 2 sites (cardiff, bangor), around 70 max users, servers running Windows server 2003 etc etc. In my spare time I been studying for a CCNA (home lab- 3 routers, 2 switches) which is going great (my plan is to work towards a career using cisco equipment- network engineer).

Work struggles - Im having trouble with my little knowledge of Windows server 2003 (active directory, user profiles, permissions). I say trouble but what i mean is having to ask the IT manager questions all the time :oops: (who is based in bangor, im in cardiff). He doesnt mind this but i do :x I have a huge urge to learn more.

Possible solution: build a server at home with windows server 2003 and cover 70-290 exam material.

I have 2 pcs and one laptop all running xp pro to use as clients or take the virtual pc route (ive read about people in this forum using VMware and VirtualPC, which i know very little about).

Basically what spec does the server need to be? Either virtual pc route or not (I want to spend as little as possible for now, saving for a house at the mo :()

Am I going about this the right way, with regards to learning, work progression etc?

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks.

Certifications: BSc Network Management & Security
    WIP: CCNA
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

If you're looking on going the virtual PC or VMWare route then you've pretty much answered your own question.

The minimum hardware has to be at least exceed 6gig of hard disk, one 1gig free space, 256mb of RAM but 512mb recommended as you'd have to take into account the virtual operating systems would need ram space allocated as well. I hope this helps, by all in all you're going about it the right way:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Arron

Arron Bit Poster

Thanks for your reply. I have done some more research and would like to build a server machine running windows server 2003, then install VMWare server (which is free :D) and have a few virtual machines running XP Pro.

Is it possible to have my two pcs and laptop on the same network as the server and virtual machines? i.e. making a network consisting of one server(windows server 2003) and 5 clients(3 physical, 2 virtual, all xp pro).

Thanks again.

4. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Yes that is possible, I don't know how you would do it in VMware because I've only ever used Virtual PC, but there are plenty of members on this forum that are very knowledgeable with VMWare that will no doubt help you out if you get stuck.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  5. Arron

Arron Bit Poster

Cheers Stoney. Going to get a low end core2duo with 2gb RAM. That should be enough RAM for the server and two VMs. I could always upgrade later anyway. I cant wait to get playing now :biggrin