Server 2K3 Terminal Services Question

Discussion in 'Software' started by helios, Jun 16, 2006.

1. helios

helios Bit Poster

hi everyone, Hopefully I'll be able to explain this clearly...

I'm in a Win 2K domain, but there are several 2K3 servers. there's TS running on both 2K and 2K3 servers. Whenever a client logs on via TS to one of the 2K servers using remote desktop, an application is automatically run, and when the user closes the remote desktop window, their TS sessions is ended and they're logged off. When the same process is done on one of the 2K3 servers, the same thing happens except in the TS manager, the session is shown as 'disconnected' but the user isn't actually logged off. The settings between the 2K and 2K3 servers are identical, it's just that the users session doesn't actually log off in 2K3, it just disconnects.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks!

Certifications: A+, Net+, 70-270
    WIP: MCSA:M
  2. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

you say that the user closes the remote desktop window? then the disconnected state is correct. this is by design. closing the window will leave the session logged on.

[edit] if you don't want this, then configure the rdp-tcp connection in the terminal services configuration tool. in tab sessions you can override the user settings of a disconnected session.

3. helios

helios Bit Poster

I did override the users settings, but it's still keeping the session as disconnected. the exact same settings work fine in Server 2K...

Certifications: A+, Net+, 70-270
    WIP: MCSA:M
  4. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

then i suggest you check your event log. it's a fairly simple setup, and if it doesn't work, then there must be something wrong, which hopefully can be determined by the logs.