Server 2003 - Remote shutdown

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sparky, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ok, been working on a server tonight and needed to reboot to apply changes. The thing is the server hasnt rebooted properly, it has been rebooting for the past 2 hours. doh!

The server hasnt got to the reboot part yet (got a constant ping on it) and I can still connect to shares, and services as well from another server on the site. Also PCs can still log onto the domain (the server I am working on is a DC)

I have tried the shutdown command and when I try it again I get the message that a remote shutdown is in progress. I have also tried vbscript just to see if that would work, no joy.

Is there any other way I can restart the server? If not I am gonna have to get on-site first thing to reboot it or throw it out the window! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have had this issue before when the servers I use wouldn't reboot but bare in mind this was on sun boxes running Unix, all I did was to bring up the window that showed all processes that were still active when reboot was initiated and I deleted each process until the reboot process could start proper.

Now I realise this may not be the same but it could be worth a try.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

But some services will not be stopped as these are essential to keep the comp up...
    what server you running Sparky mate?

4. Sparky

Its a Server 2003 DC (with other crap installed), I can connect to the services and I have stopped all the services manually but some of them just dont give me the option to stop the service.

I have restarted netlogon and terminal services but this wont let me back onto the server... :blink

Just to add I was doing a repair install on some software that was playing up and I think the install is going to continue after the reboot, oh joy :rolleyes:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. greenbrucelee

does iisreset work, I have a copy of commands on my desk here at work for some reason. :blink

6. Mr.Cheeks

7. Sparky

Cheers guys, IIS isnt installed on the server so dont think thats the problem. I have tried the shutdown command which went through ok but nothing has happened. When I try it again it says the server is shutting down which it aint.

Keep 'em coming though! :biggrin

8. greenbrucelee

9. Mr.Cheeks

10. Sparky

Good call, Im trying the psexec stuff just now...

11. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

Depending on what state it's in you might be able to push out VNC and see whats happening on the console?

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  12. Sparky

VNC is on it but I cant start the services... :cry:

13. Sparky

Ok, looks like it has bombed out.

Lesson to everyone, a DC is a DC, it will always be a DC and should not be anything else other than a DC. Period.

Try telling your customers that though,they dont listen....... :rolleyes:

14. Mr.Cheeks

Sparky,

Whats the TCO for a dedication DC box, which is just a DC? Shouldn't be too much should it?

15. Sparky

Not much, you can add DHCP and perhaps user profiles if you want to add additional roles to the server to cut costs. The DC is obviously one of most important servers in the network so why keep installing cr@p on it and then start to complain when the network starts to slow down? Also it is difficult to work on during the day, can’t exactly reboot it when you want to. :biggrin

16. Mr.Cheeks

i know that but how much £££

17. Sparky

For this particular customer, probably £1k which includes Server 2003 O\S.

18. Mr.Cheeks

reasonable... reminds me of this tread

19. Mr.Cheeks

Sparky mate - see if this helps? i restarted a service remotely using this, but not sure if this works over a domain

20. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Sparky, I might be coming a little late, but at work I use PS tools which can be found here. I use the tool all the time.

Edit: sorry I didn't see that this was already mentioned. Need some more sleep I guess.:oops:

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA