Server 2003 - Practice for exams

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Cozzy, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Cozzy

Cozzy New Member

Hi guys

I'm just coming to the end of an intenstive 13 week course and have 2 exams left to pass Server 2003 70-290 and my CCNA.

I'm hanging back on the Cisco for a while until I'm in a job and will buy myself a router and study for the exams in the evenings.

However, I'm keen to work for the 2003 exam and understand that there is a virtual version of the software that can be downloaded and run on your home PC (for free) which enables you to practise setting up domains, establishing groups and users etc.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for this - I would be most appreciative?

Cheers

C

Certifications: A+,70-290,70-270, CCNA
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Hi there Cozzy.

I assume what you are talking about is Virtual PC or VMWare, which are not virtual versions of the software, but a tool to enable you to run Virtual Computers.

More information on Virtual PC is available here.

This is now free for you to use.

You will of course still need versions of the product that you are wanting to work on to install, in which case you can usually get hold of time limited evaluation versions from MS, or if you have the MS Press books they often come with them.

HTH.

8)

3. Cozzy

Cozzy New Member

thanks mate, I believe your right - I'll give that a go.

Thanks for your help.

C

Certifications: A+,70-290,70-270, CCNA
  4. Quarky

Quarky Byte Poster

Hello,

Anybody got any ideas on which is best..

VirtualPC or VMware ?

I've got both, but i'm not ready to setup yet. I want to start some server experimenting soon, but i'm currently on the 70-270 before i start the 290 so i'm just hanging on a little while.

:D

Certifications: A+,270,271,272 (MCDST)
    WIP: Master CIW
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Personal preference. Try them both and see which one you like better.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Remember to keep the tempo up as - depending on the person - things can be forgotten if you let it go too long before the exams.

A pair of cheap second hand Pc's and a KVM is also an option for home lab study as it removes any additional complexity relating to virtualisation.

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff