Server 2003 basic set up

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Paul_o, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Paul_o

Paul_o Nibble Poster

can anyone point me too a website that describes in not too technical lingo how to set up server 2003 as a domain controller. i have been playing around with and set it up as a typical config for a first server but after i add myself as a user in active directory i cant login on my test pc running xp, both nics on the server and test pc show as disconnected in windows, both nics work after pluging the server or the xp box into my adsl/router but joined together dont. i am a total newbie when it comes to server 2003 so any help is welcome.

Paul.

Certifications: C&G Advanced diploma in network support
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Paul look for all the threads i started... i did the whole lot in a lab course not so long ago

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Paul_o

Paul_o Nibble Poster

Thanks Zimbo just printed them off and will have a read through them before having another go at it.
    Paul.

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

If you are connecting two computers together with an ethernet cable directly ie not via a switch or a hub etc, you need to use a crossover cable otherwise the NICs will appear to be disconnected.

More here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossover_cable

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Paul_o

Paul_o Nibble Poster

Thanks Bluerinse i think you've found the problem. i had a feeling it was something stupid i was doing, i know i have a cross over cable somewhere, will have a search when i get home. whats the betting i won't be able to find it, go out and buy another and then come accross the original one.

Paul.

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

LOL the likelyhood of that is very high, it's called sods law :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)