Problem Server 2000 to SBS 2008

Discussion in 'Software' started by westernkings, Aug 31, 2010.

1. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I've been racking my nut about it all day,

I basically need to move an entire domain + Exchange 2000 to the SBS 2008 and Exchange 2007 box with almost no down time. I am really struggling to think of an effective method of doing it in three days.

Migrating seems to be completely off limits without an upgrade of the old server to 2003 STD which is a no no I think.

How would you guys go about doing this?

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

How many users? Workstations?

Are the workstations on Windows 2000?

Any crazy third party applications?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

about 10 or so workstations and users, nothing over complex, they all run through static IP Addresses, no DHCP, no third party apps. They all running XP.

It's a pretty basic set up in all honesty, just having a bit of trouble getting the ball rolling.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Shouldn’t be too much drama.

1) Install new SBS
    2) Create all user accounts (make them the same as the live domain)
    3) Exmerge mailboxes from the old Exchange box onto the new one
    4) Import them in Exchange 2007
    - Put the clients on webmail as they will still be on the old domain
    5) Go round each workstation and run the profile migration wizard, detach the PC from old domain and attach it to the new one
    6) Log in as the user and import the profile
    7) Repeat for all workstations
    8 ) Migrate data overnight using a script or backup software (make not of security on folders as you will be migrating to a new domain)
    9) Migrate printers
    10) Document

That’s it really, you will have to obviously tweak firewall rules\IP addresses while you are migrating.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Yep, what Sparky said, for that kind of environment, you should be done in a maximum of two days as its basically an Email and Fileserver.

A couple of things to note, the http://connect (SBS Migration) for workstations doesn't work on Vista or 7, so don't bother.

Setup all your Security Groups etc first in AD, don't forget to create the users using the SBS Console, otherwise things can get a bit funky for you later.

Also if pushing printers out in 2008 via GPO use pushprinterconnections.exe in the login script, works a treat.

For the data transfer I recommend Always Synch, oh and don't forget to use a Gigabit Switch so you get some decent transfer rates.

Get balls deep mate.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5