Serious question

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by LukeP, Mar 23, 2011.

1. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I was thinking, we already know that more data over Wifi makes the radio waves heavier, therefor slower. Now the question is:

If the UTP cable goes vertically in the building, does it mean that data will flow faster from higher floors down and slower from the ground up? In theory it makes sense doesn't it?

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  2. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

It depends, if the data is text based or video based.

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  3. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Well bit of both. Basically, most of the time it's a video, but generated from ASCII art so I'm not sure if it's more video than text or text than video video text.

4. cisco lab rat

...........mmmm, I see the problem there.....what I would do it take the text data and stuff it with some heavy bits and then take a video data and chop it up into smaller pieces, and add some lighter bits to it, not too light or they will become radios waves and float away............I read it in a book so it's true that is...

5. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Do you oven cook that or just stir fry it?

6. cisco lab rat

Cook to taste generally, but for quick results and in keeping with networking go for Microwave

7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I'm not sure to be honest. I think it's ok if there is a constant pressure from the line. It's like the water pressure in our water supply, so long as the ISP is pushing data down the line, your download speeds will be faster, and enough pressure will overcome any obstacles such is climbing floors. That's why upload speeds are slower than download - your PC can't provide as much pressure back to the ISP as the ISP can push down the line.

Also, this obviously means that the more you download, the faster your download speeds will be, so crack open those torrents and download as many files as you can find.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

You need JonnyMX for this - he has expertise with utilizing network connections into lift facilities to improve the connections

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  9. cisco lab rat

It also has to do with the fact that many ISP's live in the clouds, so data does flow faster down from the heavens but slower back up into the cloud

10. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Thanks. So back on the subject:

Will I be better off putting cables vertically or should I do them at the angle (zigzag mode). The other option is to wrap the building in the cable (coil mode) so there is never a strong angle for the texteo data to go up the hill (no-one likes walking uphill - especially if the wind blows straight in your face)

Edit: Sorry Fergal haven't seen your reply before I posted. Thanks. It explains nothing! I'll just keep asking. Thanks again.

I deserve to die!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yes Ko.. I mean luke data does travel faster when the cables are vertical. Why do you think server cabinets are tall and thin?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

This doesn't answer my question GBL. I asked if it flows faster if the cables are vertical!

13. greenbrucelee

yes it does.

14. cisco lab rat

Now, now, sir, calm down, calm down, let us hold your hand and stroke your hair and it'll all be better.

15. cisco lab rat

Only if the data flows down at an epicentral angle of 180 degrees

16. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I didn't catch that. Can you repeat please?

Please do!

17. greenbrucelee

someone else can post the exact same response:D

18. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Typical griefer! No help what-so-ever. Are you picking on me?

19. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I don't think you understand your question, Luke. :rolleyes:

:p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  20. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Ahem. Yes, it was the main subject of my thesis.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should cables run vertically in a building.
    Data that is being uploaded will find it much too difficult to reach the top floor (typically where the directors live) - especially if your ISP doesn't supply you with enough 'pressure'.

This means that emails etc sent to senior management which may be BUSINESS CRITICAL, may arrive late - or worse still - never!

On an even more serious point, data being downloaded down the building may go too fast and get broken when it gets to the ground floor - incidentally, this lead me off on a tangent, I had an idea to do with breaking datas up in to little pieces which I call 'packets'. More on this later, because I haven't come up with a solution to stick them all back together again in the right order.

So, in short, the best solution is a 'spiral' or 'zig-zag' as has already been mentioned - good to see some people actually read my work.

In our office we wrap the cables around pillars or zig-zag them up the walls - it works really well.

Another point to note - if you are using cable ties, don't do them up too tight. Our FD didn't get any emails for a week and we traced it to an over-enthusiastic tightening of a cable tie which was causing an enormous backlog.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
    Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD