September 11, 2001

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Always Remember.

[​IMG]

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

It's impossible to forget.
    - Life has changed since.

Seeing the devestated families brings the whole thing into perspective. :(

3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I watched a documentary on C4 last night, about the Marriot Hotel that was located between the towers.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Yeah, I watched the docu about the hotel last night also. I also watched one at the weekend. Both of them were quite moving.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I saw a documentary on the cleanup, they let people work for hours on minimum wage surrounded by toxic substances, people died from lung disease, their lungs scared up so much they didn't function and weighed three times normal. All the while the government said it was safe to be in the area....

http://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/toxiclegacy/index2.html

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Has it? Not enough, in my opinion. The United States still does not defend its own borders.

Never forget.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Thats because thier too busy defending other peoples borders!
    Sometimes i swear the US govenment intervines just to cause a war that they can join to make them selves look big in other countries eyes. Stop it and sort your own yard out first!

This is not a slight on the memory of 9/11 btw, i lost my job due to that along with 40 others in my company, so its not something i will forget. People lost thier lives and familes were ruined due to some very evil beings. And that should not be something to be little or forget.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Agreed

My sympathies to all the famillies affected.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

Just wanted to send some warm thoughts to my American friends on a sad day. I also wanted to repost this old column by Gordon Sinclair, a great Canadian that we lost many years ago. He wrote it in 1973 and I think it still has great meaning 35 years later:

-- snip --

THE AMERICANS

by Gordon Sinclair

The United States dollar took another pounding on German, French and British exchanges this morning, hitting the lowest point ever known in West Germany. It has declined there by 41% since 1971 and this Canadian thinks it is time to speak up for the Americans as the most generous and possibly the least-appreciated people in all the earth.

As long as sixty years ago, when I first started to read newspapers, I read of floods on the Yellow River and the Yangtze. Who rushed in with men and money to help? The Americans did.

They have helped control floods on the Nile, the Amazon, the Ganges and the Niger. Today, the rich bottom land of the Misssissippi is under water and no foreign land has sent a dollar to help. Germany, Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and Italy, were lifted out of the debris of war by the Americans who poured in billions of dollars and forgave other billions in debts. None of those countries is today paying even the interest on its remaining debts to the United States.

When the franc was in danger of collapsing in 1956, it was the Americans who propped it up and their reward was to be insulted and swindled on the streets of Paris. I was there. I saw it.

When distant cities are hit by earthquakes, it is the United States that hurries into help... Managua Nicaragua is one of the most recent examples. So far this spring, 59 American communities have been flattened by tornadoes. Nobody has helped.

The Marshall Plan .. the Truman Policy .. all pumped billions upon billions of dollars into discouraged countries. Now, newspapers in those countries are writing about the decadent war-mongering Americans.

I'd like to see one of those countries that is gloating over the erosion of the United States dollar build its own airplanes.

Come on... let's hear it! Does any other country in the world have a plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo Jet, the Lockheed Tristar or the Douglas 107? If so, why don't they fly them? Why do all international lines except Russia fly American planes? Why does no other land on earth even consider putting a man or women on the moon?

You talk about Japanese technocracy and you get radios. You talk about German technocracy and you get automobiles. You talk about American technocracy and you find men on the moon, not once, but several times ... and safely home again. You talk about scandals and the Americans put theirs right in the store window for everyone to look at. Even the draft dodgers are not pursued and hounded. They are here on our streets, most of them ... unless they are breaking Canadian laws .. are getting American dollars from Ma and Pa at home to spend here.

When the Americans get out of this bind ... as they will... who could blame them if they said 'the hell with the rest of the world'. Let someone else buy the Israel bonds, Let someone else build or repair foreign dams or design foreign buildings that won't shake apart in earthquakes.

When the railways of France, Germany and India were breaking down through age, it was the Americans who rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania Railroad and the New York Central went broke, nobody loaned them an old caboose. Both are still broke. I can name to you 5,000 times when the Americans raced to the help of other people in trouble.

Can you name me even one time when someone else raced to the Americans in trouble? I don't think there was outside help even during the San Francisco earthquake.

Our neighbours have faced it alone and I am one Canadian who is damned tired of hearing them kicked around. They will come out of this thing with their flag high. And when they do, they are entitled to thumb their nose at the lands that are gloating over their present troubles.

I hope Canada is not one of these. But there are many smug, self-righteous Canadians. And finally, the American Red Cross was told at its 48th Annual meeting in New Orleans this morning that it was broke.

This year's disasters .. with the year less than half-over… has taken it all and nobody...but nobody... has helped.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  10. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

^^ RESPECT ^^

11. BosonMichael

Meh. It needed to be done. In actuality, it should have been finished during the first Gulf War... but Bush Senior called off the troops when they had Saddam surrounded. But they let him go, and he defied UN resolution after UN resolution. Okay, fine... he was warned for a decade...

We will simply have to disagree, it seems.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Wow! Thanks Sean. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  13. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

My prayers goes out to the families that has experience this unspeakable evil done by another human being. Please, remember the devil uses people as demon agents hence that display, but God almighty is holy and kind hence he sent he's son Jesus for us all to pay the price.

Finally, what does Jesus mean to you? Ultimately friends the choice is yours to make and call. Peace out:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  14. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Please, mods do not delete my message:) as am watching.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  15. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Maybe not enough. I don't know what you mean by "The United States still does not defend its own borders" but then I'm not thinking of ways to sneak into the US, so maybe it's true.

16. BosonMichael

The borders are largely unchecked. There are millions of illegal immigrants here in this country. And several of the people who hijacked the planes learned at flight schools inside the US.

Maybe we need another wake-up call. Lord forbid it ever happen... but if we don't start protecting ourselves, it WILL happen again.

17. Crito

Crito Banned

The terrorists won the day we changed "The American Way"(tm) of life in the name of national security. And all the WTC terrorists came through our nothern border with Canada. Yet somehow 9/11 is used to justify building a wall on our southern border with Mexico.

I'll always remember 9/11 as the day the fascists in our government got the excuse they had been waiting for. :x

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  18. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

Sorry, but up here in Canada it's much more important to use tax dollars to buy sex change operations for prison inmates, persecute Christians for their beliefs through our Human Rights Commissions (SPIT!), and make sure there are plenty of free needles for druggies at the local needle exchange centre.

All the social programs we have in Canada that everyone else in the world points to as examples were basically paid for by Americans (with their money AND their lives). They had to protect our third of the continent after we gutted our defence forces so we could experiment with weird social engineering projects instead.

Bloody hell.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  19. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I offer my sincerest sympathies and regrets to the people affected.

No government can protect its civilians from terrorism, its simply not possible, the planes could have taken off from outside the US, the terroists could have been sleepers underground for years, you cannot protect all borders, what about people smuggling by road, sea and air? What about terroist attacks like the oklahoma bombing?

What could have been prevented is the damage to the peoples heath that were involved in the clean up, thousands of people will now die prematurely for the next 50 years.

I still cannot understand where the connection to Iraq comes from? At no point has this been proven, yet more americans are dying there ask we speak. Nearly 2800 americans have died in Iraq, roughly the same as september 11, this war was started by George Bush Jnr based on the false premise of WMD's everyone knew did not exist.

Where was the help for the citizens when the levies broke in New Orleans ?

So yes the government is failing to protect its citizens, by negligence and deliberately putting them at risk it seems, the american people may be great, some of the actions of the american government aren't, the two things are quite seperate.

I am not an expert on history or politics but I believe some of the statements of Gordon Sinclair are less than accurate, many aspects of foreign policy have been questionable.

I'll leave it at that, as I wish to respect the people that lost their lives.

20. BosonMichael

"Lasers." Lasers on the ground, lasers in the air, and most importantly, fish with lasers. 8)