Self study Vs Training Co's Vs College

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Shazz, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Shazz

Shazz Bit Poster

Oh Hi!

Basically, I finally know what I want to do with my life. Technical IT (god help the end user). As such, I'm looking at taking A+, MCDST, CCNA, MCSE (I await amusing replies here) to try and get the ball rolling due to the fact despite having experience/knowledge but no quali's my job applications are getting nowhere. That and I graduated in late May and have had little success finding a job.

As a result, I've looked at both routes, but I'm unsure of which to do...

The options I have are;

Self Study: Whilst cost effective, unsure how this would look on a CV?
    Training Co's: £££, but there’s a "few" decent ones, who make lots of "claims" (go sales go!). But it's basically the same as self study, apart from 1-2 days a month. But for a lot more £
    College: Much the same as self study, but there seems to be a distinct lack of places covering the courses in evenings locally...

Answers on a post card, or the reply button! ;) Any advice is appreciated, as I'm rather unsure of the route to take right now!

Cheers ;D

Certifications: BA (Hons),
    WIP: MCDST, A+, N+
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Self study makes no difference to your CV - you just list the cert and that's it.

Some aren't disciplined enough or need the contact with others to feed off of but most here will advocate self study for cost reasons.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. Shazz

Shazz Bit Poster

Sounds fair, cheers for the heads up!
    Having looked at my local college a 10 week evening course for A+ essentials + 602 comes to just shy of £500 including exam costs.

Personally, I think i'd still need the bit of informal training on the site. but really still need to decide!

4. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Try self study for a few months and see how that works out for you

If you can't find the discipline to do that then makes no difference if you went to a training provider or collage

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Self study and TPs have the advantage over college in that you can work at your own pace.
    A good TP and college have the advantage over self study in that there is someone to help you if you need them.

Depends on what you want/need.

I would say, and I'm sure that I won't be the first, is that you've set yourself out a set of certs which, if they don't fry your brain, will leave you massively over certified and yet under-experienced to get an entry level IT job.

People recruiting at entry level aren't going to be looking for those kinds of certs, and those that are will expect someone with a solid IT background. You may want to read the suggested pre-requisites for the certs before you make your mind up.

By all means start out with A+, get it over with and then try to find some kind of work to build on some experience. Start at the bottom and go from there. Unfortunately there's not really a short cut, despite what some TPs would have you believe.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. Miro

Miro Byte Poster

Self study for a start wiil do. TPs just want you money. You can get better by self studying.
    College might be ok but as you said the timetable is not always as we wish.
    Decide first which course you want to do. I think A+ or MCDST will be fine here. After get some books, video, PC lab etc. Belive me that TP will give you the same for much ££££. Or worst, cause their books and video are usually so old that my grandad remember it.
    I spent for my A+ around £400 as I remember right. And that was including books, exams cost,latest video, and PC lab.
    I am studying now for my MCDST. I have passed the first exam and I am going to pass the second very soon.
    My cost was:
    Latest Microsoft books - £50
    Exam simulations - £ 100
    Exam cost - £120 ( 70-271 £50 with voucher, 70-272 £70 with voucher)
    Video from e-bay - £12
    Plus experience as a volunteer in local PC repair shop

No TP will offer you this!

Good luck:biggrin

Certifications: A+ IT Technician
    WIP: MCDST, Network+
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have done all my certs through self study it does require a lot of discipline if you decide to do it though.

Also I must say this having high level certs like the CCNA and MCSE without the required job experience can have a negative effect when applying for jobs. The MCSE requires at least 12 months experience as systems engineer the usual starting certs are A+,N+ and MCDST

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. Shazz

Shazz Bit Poster

Sounds fair to me. I was thinking a long way down the line for an MCSE really.

Best bet would be to do MCDST, A+ and N+ as you say then I guess?

9. greenbrucelee

Yes you could also do the vista upgrade for the MCDST. You could also consider doing the basic CCNA called CCENT

10. greenbrucelee

just to add it's entirely upto you if you self study, go to college or use a TP but I qouls recommend the first two over a TP anyday because of the rip off costs and most inadequate materials you will get

11. Shazz

Shazz Bit Poster

Yeah, I'm posting this basically as a result of trying to be done over by a TP...

Who wanted 5950 for A+, MCP, MCDST, MCA, MCSE on a "starter" package...

Fortunately, I was trying to get into IT sales over the summer/ post uni. So i saw through their utter lies/ package.

Still, It's a shame people don't take a degree at face value right now. Or i'd have been almost straight into work if I'd graduated this time 2-3 years ago!

12. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

And your soul, don't forget the souls, I have a broom cupboard packed with them, wretched things, all moaning and groaning away

Going to stick them on ebay shortly, nice fresh souls anyone?:twisted:

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  13. greenbrucelee

unfortunately its experience what counts regradless of wether you have a degree or not these days. If I could go back in time I would have done certs, got a job then done uni part time whilst working.

14. Shazz

Shazz Bit Poster

Hmm, well.

It seems like self certing is the way forward. Any recommendations for some kit to get, as well as any core textbooks that you guys would recommend for A+, N+ and MCDST then?