Self Study SQL Server 2008/Oracle 11g

Discussion in 'SQL Exams' started by tigertim71, Sep 20, 2009.

1. tigertim71

tigertim71 New Member

I am looking at doing a self study course in Oracle (SQL Fundamentals 1Z0-051) or SQL Server 2008 (70-432, 70-433) leading to a qualification and there is a massive gap in the clarity of Oracle vs SQL Server (ie. the Oracle course is much better set out). Therefore I am moving much more towards Oracle.

However, I'm not sure what the implications will be now that Oracle and Sun have merged? Additionally, if SQL Server is more used in the workplace then will I limit my employment prospects with Oracle?

Does anyone know of any self study texts on SQL Server for 70-432 and 70-433 that use intelligible training techniques? From what I have seen so far, Oracle beats SQL by miles in terms of clarity.

2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Welcome to the forum. This is a bit of an odd post. You are deciding what technology you want to base your career on related solely to the availability/quality of training materials? I would have thought it would be better to choose a technology that interests you rather than one one you can learn a bit more easily.

That said, Oracle will always be one of, if not the, the major player at the 'top end' of the RDBMS market - largely because most places that use it are heavily locked into it. The days of SQL Server being a 'poor relation' to Oracle (not scaling well, poor performance, lack of tunability etc) are gone - they started to disappear with SQL Server 2000 and largely disappeared altogether with 2005 - but people still equate SQL Server with smaller and departmental/off the shelf applications. This is what makes SQL Server so valuable a skill to have - when faced with installing a new product which requires a back-end DB, most choose SQL Server rather than Oracle, which means the installed base for it is much wider than for Oracle. It's also the reason why many places looking for someone on second/third line want SQL Server skills.

HTH

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. tigertim71

tigertim71 New Member

My main concern was based on the difficulty of the SQL Server exam books published by Microsoft compared with the grading up method of Oracle.

From a training and understanding point of view there is no comparison with Oracle.

I would much prefer to do Oracle to start with and see where things go, however, I wouldn't want to miss out on opportunities due to lack of a SQL Server qualification. But I will have to make a choice...

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Why? You can only learn one OR the other?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. tigertim71

tigertim71 New Member

Time, money, sanity(?).

Microsoft had some free on line tutorials for SQL Server 2005, so that was a start.

But if I take the qualification route, it'd probably be Oracle unless there a more graded approach to 70-432 and 70-433.

6. Matthew Tailor

Matthew Tailor Banned

Its a bit hard to find material for the new SQL 2008 certifications at present. However, theres a free practice exam for 70-432 over at:

ADVERTISING LINK REMOVED - PLEASE READ TERMS AND CONDITIONS - Sparky

Loads of good questions and completely free, enjoy my friend!! :biggrin

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2009
    Certifications: MCSD, MCPD
    WIP: MCPD 2008 (3.5)