Self Study Reading Material

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Co9, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Co9

Co9 Nibble Poster

Hi All,

Please will it be possible to advise me on what reading material to purchase for the A+ self study. I believe A+ cert all in one exam guide sixth edition to be one of the main ones - also is this still edition current ? Please also suggest any others to get as am keen to get started. Desk top user only so any pre reading if deemed necessary for a beginner would also be appreciated - I presume the book mentioned above will cover everything I need to know anyway

Kind Regards

Co9

WIP: A+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Yep, the book mentioned above will meet your needs.

That book coupled with asking any queires you have here will get you well on the way.

8)

3. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Mr Meyer's book is probably the only reading material you need to pass it. Obviously the more difficult the exam then the books you should study from, but the A+ is based as an entry level cert so you shouldn't need anything else.

It's got decent reviews, is aimed at complete beginners and it's nicely priced.

Here's an amazon uk link for you - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Certification-All-one-Exam-Guide/dp/0072263113/sr=1-3/qid=1168975376/ref=sr_1_3/203-0486110-5803141?ie=UTF8&s=books

Hope this helps :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. Co9

Co9 Nibble Poster

Many thanks to you & much appreciated - love this site - new i'd get the support i was looking for!

All the best

Co9

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Also PC Technician street smarts by James Pyles will help too. This is an exercise book which takes you through various scenarios from having to install a power supply and other hardware to tweaking windows along with other windows tasks

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Another good book I can recommend is here.
    However, the Mike Meyers AIO 6th Edition will do you well ;)

7. Silverfox

Silverfox Bit Poster

I recently passed the A+ using a combination of Mike Meyers All in One and Professors Messers videos at www.freeaplus.com. My advice would be to use a wide variety of resouces including youtube, as when it came the the exams I don't think the Mike Meyers book had all bases covered.

8. Co9

Co9 Nibble Poster

Thanks Silverfox - really helpful advise have favourited professor Messers - Brilliant

All the best with your continued studying

Kind regards

Co9

9. Co9

Co9 Nibble Poster

Hi Silverfox - sent this to the author - tis probably me - can you spread (forgive the pun) any light on this one having read the book recently ???

Re. Comptia A+ All in one guide Sixth Edition page 64 figure 3-14 Ram as a spreadsheet :

Hi Michael,

Sorry if I've missed a fundamental point here but there are nine bits or cells on this spreadsheet for rows

- Am I right in thinking a printing error as surely there should be eight not nine because of EDB ?????

Thanks

Richard Winnall

10. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Interestingly - the previous edition *did* have 8 columns instead of 9!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  11. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

In my opinion Meyers AIO coupled with the Professor Messer videos is a good way to go if you're starting from a relatively inexperienced point.
    The book that Evilwheato linked to is great as a supplement to Meyers if you're inexperienced but would maybe suit someone who already works in the industry, or has a fair bit of knowledge from building/repairing their own and friends/families PCs, as their main study guide. It goes further than A+ level in some areas, which is no bad thing, but it does mean it skimps on the basics sometimes to fit everything in.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  12. Silverfox

Silverfox Bit Poster

I remember reading that page and being very confused by the 9 columns. I thought it must be a mistake and would be interested to see if you get a reply to the query.

As you go through the book and look at other resourses, they will occasionally differ in what they say. For example the Mike Meyers book page 135 gives an explanation of Double sided DIMMs. The Professer Messers videos on RAM say this is incorrect and provides another defintion. Other areas that seemed to attract different opinions were recommended minimum specifications for operating systems and cleaning methods.

Being new to IT, I found the areas of conflicting advice to be confusing. I was not a member of the forum at the time, now I would use the collective expertise available to assist. May be best to use the A+ forum for any queries.

Good luck.