Self Study MCDST

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by westernkings, Sep 8, 2008.

1. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Hey guys;

I bought the 70-271 Press Book and am now studying away, however I am struggling. A LOT. The idea of reading this big ass book full of things I am probably going to use once or twice in the next 10 years just puts me off and I struggle with where to start, where to end, what to look at, what not too.

Can anyone just give me some of your self study techniques ? How do you educate your self for your exams ? do you just read ?

Any self study advice would be fantastic. Thanks guys. :eek:

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I have the same book but I use the PDF version. :p Don't be too scared off by its size. :)

My normal study procedure is:-

Read.

Re-read and make notes.

Do sample Q + A to see if it stuck. If it didn't then re-read again.

Hope this helps.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. westernkings

I have the PDF Version as well if anyone wants it btw, I am more than happy to share, may help you brush up on some things that you haven't needed for a while.

i am just really struggling with self studying, I learn better by doing things

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

MOst of us learn better by doing. Why not download a copy of virtual PC, download a trial of server 2003 and install the copy of winxp that came with the press book virtually network it to server 2003 set up some user accounts and practice whats in the book.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Whilst I'm sure your intentions are good - freely distributing the PDF version of the book would still be frowned upon by Microsoft.

Just be careful :)

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. westernkings

if it means more people take exams with MS, I doubt they will be to meithered . . . . ;-)

7. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Unfortunately its still copyright theft, prob best to delete those posts as this board could be liable.

I personally do reading, CBTS, and practical work, the MSpress books ive used so far give you stuff to do, doing helps the learning process so good idea to get a virtual server setup using the trial software you get with the MSPRess books

If you can get a study partner, nothing more motivational than competition ;)

Good luck

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Considering there are several of us on these very forums who write those tech books which you are proudly offering to pirate, you *really* ought to reconsider your offer. That sort of behavior isn't allowed here... and besides, I don't take too kindly to people taking food from my kids' mouths. :dry

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. westernkings

sorry was just trying to be nice. . . .

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Just be aware that "being nice" ends up hurting good people who write the material you use to study. When you make it financially unattractive for good, experienced, and knowledgeable writers to create new material because you freely distribute their hard work over the Internet, what will you study then, hm? There'll be nothing left for you to pirate.

The effects of book piracy are already being felt: IT certification book sales are down to a single-digit percentage of what they used to be just a few years ago... so publishers are only publishing IT certification books that are almost guaranteed to break even. As a result, it's almost impossible to find updated materials for some exams, such as Server+. Often, there's only one or two books available for a certification; the other publishers have been driven off. It's certainly not like it used to be.

Piracy has also taken its toll on practice exam vendors. Some are outsourcing their writing to India in an attempt to cut costs. Others are hiring less-qualified writers who don't require a large salary. Do you want less-qualified people writing your training materials? I certainly do not... I want those who write my training materials to be the most qualified and knowledgeable people around... and they come at a cost.

So support those who create high-quality training materials. Otherwise, there eventually won't be any high-quality materials to study.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!