Self study kit recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by RichGK, Dec 6, 2007.

1. RichGK

RichGK Bit Poster

I was originally going to study CCNA with the OU (Open University) in the UK but have decided to go-it-alone instead. I would have got some decent materials from the OU (I have studied with them before to get a diploma) such as a network emulation program and books but will now have to provide these myself!

So what would people recommend as a good kit to have to aid self study? I will eventually be able to get a couple of real switches / router but due to space constraints will have to begin with an application that emulates these! I don't mind spending a couple of hundred on the kit.

Lastly, I find it easier to have a structured study routine laid out and have to work to it (albeit difficult or easy) than simply picking up a book and reading with no idea of the pace I am supposed to be doing. So are there any course guidelines/study direction aids available?

Thanks very much.
    Rich.

Certifications: Dip Comp (Open)
    WIP: MCITP
  2. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

I would recommend the Cisco Press series. These books are just great. They used to put a copy of the Boson simulator in the package, but I'm not sure if they still do (remember they recently changed the CCNA exam and therefor the program and books).
    They have a self study guide and a exam prep guide. I used the latter during classes and they where fine.
    I used the official Cisco web for material (I worked as a CISCO trainer), but these are only available for official Cisco Academies.
    Best see the CISCO site for more info.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Agreed. Cisco Press materials are quality material and I believe you'd do well with them.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. RichGK

RichGK Bit Poster

Thankyou both!

Is Boson the most widely used simulator?

Certifications: Dip Comp (Open)
    WIP: MCITP
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Another vote for Cisco Press. Sybex is good for a secondary reference.

I'd recommend Boson's products... but I'm highly biased. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Cisco Press is generally the best book reference, in my opinion. As Michael suggests, Sybex is also a good reference.

7. ciscopaul

ciscopaul Bit Poster

Hi Rich,

There are loads of resources on the web and of course a raft of books, videos, crams etc. Since there are others recommending their own companies tools then perhaps I can mention www.howtonetwork.net which has lots of freebies on there.

Hands on practise is essential so either rent online rack time or use your own rack.

I have helped a lot of the OU guys as well so feel free to contact my office in the UK on.

Ta

Paul