self study, distance learning suggestions pls

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by irrelevantelephant, May 4, 2004.

1. irrelevantelephant

irrelevantelephant New Member

first off, if this sorta question has been asked many times before then apologies.

i want to do the CIW foundation then CIW server admin certs but cos of work & £, i'm limited to doing these by self study. does anyone know of any companies in the south-west (i.e. south of bristol, there is such a place you know!) that i can do this with? any experiences or alternatives you have would be welcome.

my logic is that coming from a web design background but currently doing i.t support, the CIW certs will be a good way to start training then maybe move up to msca, which i heard the CIW can count towards.
    but that's a long way off at the mo.

cheers guys.

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Sorry I can't help you much on this, IE - some of the rest of the guys are more Web-fluent. I'm sure they'll be along shortly to advise you.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Nailbomb

Nailbomb Bit Poster

Hey,

All I can say is that skills train(sheidegger) allow you to work from home, for the largest part of the course, only asking that you attend a couple of lessons in your area before the exams.

Also the course is expensive, but they can fund you. You have to pay it back, but only seventeen pounds a week interest free.
    They also garuntee you a job in the relevant area at the end of the course.

Certifications: none yet :-{
    WIP: C.I.W. website design manager
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Not to be a stick in the mud, but I think that offer of guaranteeing a job at the end may simply have been sales talk to get you to sign up with them. :blink

5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I did mine in South Wales. Most of the big training providers offer some kind of CIW course, but it's usually the Web design one. I haven't seen the other CIW courses on offer. You can do it yourself by looking on amazon for a book, or getting the official course material from www.computerprep.com.

No, they don't sorry. CompTia Security+ does though.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I don't want to get off on the wrong foot, but I can't help but notice that you haven't made a post yet which didn't include your training providers name in full. You need to be careful about that because people will jump to conclusions.
    Or is the handle 'nailbomb' a refrence to your subtlety? :biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD