self study cisco ccna question

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by thetokyoproject, Oct 26, 2007.

1. thetokyoproject

thetokyoproject Byte Poster

i know self study is the way to go. i'd like to have a crack at the ccna. i'm worried however that without being able to set up you own lab and playing around using IOS etc, it will be difficult to pass the exams this way.

is there anyway to get IOS on virtual PC or something similar?

cheers.

Certifications: 271
  2. Liqua

Liqua Bit Poster

Yes.

You can either use simulator software like Boson that emulates routers and switches and runs an emulated version of IOS, or you could try running Dynamips which is the better option as it's an interpreter for Cisco IOS (ie you start it and load into the simulator a real IOS image) although you need access to the real images and it's not for the feignt hearted.

The best option, in my opinion, is to make an investment and purchase some of your own kit (Ebay is great for that) then when you've finished sell it back on Ebay. :biggrin The overall cost may only be a couple of hundred dollars once you've sold it back and recouped some of the inital outlay.

Certifications: CCNA, SND, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: CISSP
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sorry, Liqua - Dynamips requires that you use the Cisco IOS outside of the hardware it's designed to be used on... which is a violation of Cisco's licensing. Thus... using Cisco's IOS in Dynamips is illegal.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!