Self Study and Experience is King!!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Ben Wood, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Ben Wood

Ben Wood New Member

Ok, after reading many threads on here and listening to the IT professionals, it would seem that companies such as Computeach and UKITtraing aren't the way to go.

It's true, there are no shortcuts or easy paths to anything in life and the taking the least likely path (the hard one) will reward you better.

Companies like the above mentioned aren't actually registered as IT training companies either - they are "Financial Services", just like MBNA, Barclays and the famous Yes Car Credit all offering you exactly what you want, exploiting your weaknesses, in order to make themselves alot of money.

I have indeed researched greatly into these companies now and believe there is indeed no point in paying way over the top for something you can do yourself.

Obviously some will disagree and I welcome your arguement but from what i have heard

"Self Study, hard work and gaining experience is definately the best way to go if you want to study at your own pace and save money"

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  2. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

many members here at cf have indeed taken the self study path. yours truly included. but i think it says more about the culture here at cf, than about the state of cert education as a whole. self study is not for everyone. some people fair better with tutor-led courses. there seem to be a number of shady companies out there, but not all of them are bad news.
    so whatever path you go for, self study, bootcamp, courses, etc., choose the one that suits you best.

3. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I would say . . .

With self study, there is a range of material out there, suited to how you best learn. If you ingest information with books, then do you main study with those. If you understand best with someone talking at you, then Learnkey is definately a good choice. (If a tad expensive)

Obviously all of this is best backed up with hands on experience, like a test server, or whatever, depending on your choice of course. :)

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  4. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

Nonsense!

A 2 second search of companies house reveals that computeach is registered under category 8042 - Adult and other education and uk it train ing is in the same category.

At least check your basic facts before slagging them off. :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  5. phoenix510

phoenix510 Byte Poster

yep hear what ya saying Ben and everyone to their own..I'm an actual CT student and I must say that so far the help and support has been 100% and basically you get out what you put in and if you use the recourses they offer then you get your monies worth ( not that i'm an expert ). Good luck on your self studying and what certs are ya studying :D

Certifications: ECDL, MOS WORD & Excel, MCDST
    WIP: A+ & 70-270
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Im self-studying too but like the guys have said there some companies out there that are decent.. have you considered local colleges in your area? They offer certs at much lower prices and apparently the very good.. but again its your final choice..

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Im in college, but the tutors are insisting to do at least 10pw @ home, naturally, you dont get that much from a 3hr x 2day per week course - for me self study is an option as long as i get some tutor led experience, as the course was free i went for it, if it was not free - my network administrator would of been my mentor, actually, he is my tutor mentor...

Which ever way you go, you have to be comitted to the course, cuz it will be hard

8. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Very true, like in many other industries instant gratification sells like hotcakes :rolleyes:

You see it all over the web ads offering 'instant results- NOW!' I saw one for getting a CCNA in 2 days recently...

Unfortunately people buy it...

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging