Self study A+

Discussion in 'A+' started by DigitalSickness, Nov 2, 2010.

1. DigitalSickness

DigitalSickness New Member

Hey folks,

I made a thread not too long ago about studying for the MCDST but recently found out the the CompTIA A+ life time certificate will expire in Dec :ohmy

So, I have decided to power study and go with the A+, I am about to purchase the Michael Meyers "All-in-One Exam Guide 7th edition" and also will be using prof' messor's videos as guides.

Is there anything else you guys can recommend me to use? like best practice exam sites for the 2009 exam? Study notes?

Thanks.8)

2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I would also get a spare old computer that you can use alongside the study guides for carrying out the hands on practice. This site also should be useful in terms of free A+ videos and study tips.

http://www.professormesser.com/free...-free-comptia-a-certification-training-course

Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. DigitalSickness

DigitalSickness New Member

Thanks man for the advice, book just came in the mail.

Study-on 8)

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

My opinion is heavily biased, considering I create practice exams for a living. Why don't you download demos from all the well-known trusted practice exam providers and compare them for yourself? :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. joex2k10xx

joex2k10xx New Member

Good luck with your A+, I am studying it as well got that book and been using the videos, going well but sometimes think its not sinking in. I was wondering if anyone knows where i can get XP disc and Vista disc to practice on my spare comp?

Thanks
    Joe

PS. Sorry for raiding your thread :)

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+ MCDST
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you can buy or you can get a technet subscription and set up a virtual lab with virtual pc and download vista a nd xp for free from technet.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. joex2k10xx

joex2k10xx New Member

BEen on technet do i sign up do u have to pay for subscription what is the links for the downloads cause i've just seen 90 day trials. Plus when i have my A+ how do u get copies of this software to install on customers computers. Always wondered that lol.

Thanks guys
    Joe

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+ MCDST
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes you sign up to Technet and pay the subscription fee. It's a good deal actually. Obviously the software is for your use only.

If you want to sell Microsoft operating systems and applications to your customers, you need to establish yourself as a business and find a decent supplier that can sell you whichever product you need at a cost that enables you to make some profit. Or at least break even as there are always costs involved.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

I'd definitely get a good practice exam. There are many companies that produce them. I've tried Transcender, MeasureUp, Boson, Preplogic, uCertify and others. You'll have to try some demos and decide for yourself. I will say that the Boson ones have uniformly the best grammar and explanations. The uCertify has the most customizable testing engine (but the English is off at times) and a lot of material. So, decide for yourself. But if you've never taken any testing like this, you should try some practice exams.

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple