Self-Paced Training Kit

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by flex22, Oct 14, 2003.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I'm wondering what you guys think of the MS self-paced training kit.

I currently use Sybex and Syngress.Thing is, I just I'm getting worried that I'm taking far too long learning this stuff.I honestly don't believe it's because I find it mind numbingly difficult (not 210 anyway).I search online all the time but there's so much info it gets overwhelming.

I just want to stick to a single structured track which I get on with.I personally find syngress awful and I have the sybex 70-210 study guide, which is ok.

I don't want to buy yet another study guide if it's just going to be the same as the others.

Is the self-paced study guide any good.Can anyone give me an honest review.I think the books I have just don't suit me personally.I try really hard at them but I lose the flow when reading these books, the structure doesn't suit me.

Anway, read the review at the bottom of this page, struth that guy looked sounds happy with his book.http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/6111.asp
    Anyway, what's your advice :unsure

2. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Flex,

The choice of study guide seems to be a very personal choice. I've studied all of the MS exams I've done from the MS study guides and like most other guides they've had their holes I just found I preferred them to the others, I tried Sybex but couldn't get on with them at all.

I don't know if the book you linked to is the same as the one I studied with a new cover but if it is I would also look at some of the material for 215 as well, bearing in mind I took this a couple of years ago now. If I remeber rightly I found the study guide lacking in some of the server side areas such as RIS.

Just my 2 pennies but I hope they help.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hey Flex,

I've just started and I mean just started this week :( reading the 70-270 XP pro training kit:
    http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/uk/books/book18247.htm

I'm not sure it’s the same line of study guides as the one you’re looking at, but I'll give you my opinion. Personally I'm finding it boring, after reading the Mike Myers A+ then this book is so dry. Mike puts a lot of his personality into his book but this book seems like it was written by an XP computer. It has no personal flair to it, no enthusiasm or passion for the subject and for me it doesn’t work. I was thinking of posting the same sort of question you've posted and asking you all if you had any recommendations for a different book.

Yes, the book gives you the info you need but the presentation for me is just so boring it makes it hard to take in. I guess it depends on your preference to the style of writing you prefer but this book is a no go for me. If you guys can give me some suggestions on an alternative then I think I'm going to have to swap by materials.

Cheers, SimonV

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi Flex

As Phil says it is a very personal thing. I could not get on with the MS Press books hates their style and total lack of subject coverage (Phil with disagree I am sure). :eek:

For me it was Sybex all the way with the Black Book (Systems Administrators & TCP/IP for W2K) as a 2nd study tool and and the Resourse Kits a must to get the total lowdown on stuff. (They do cost an arm and a leg but worth every penny). :P

5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Oh no, here we go again, Sandy :P

Sorry to disagree, but I feel that even tho' the Sybex is a nice easy "comfort" read compared to the undoubtedly cold, stodgy fayre served up by M$Press (used the latter for both 210 and 215), M$ covers what is in the exam, which i could not say about Sybex.

I believe a lot could be to do about how much you know already, though - as I had(have) zip experience of the real IT world, so I needed to start from the beginning. The M$ does contain most all of the stuff for the exam.

However, if someone were in the IT biz, even for a few months/years, I think Sybex might do it for them, if they were experiencing the stuff hands-on.

A wise person once said "we all have our own view of the Planet". The book for you is the one you learn best from, backed up with other info from the Net, and of course, this place !

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Jakamoko, I agree with what you say about sybex guides.

I can't fault them really.I'd describe them as "Nice" but not fulfilling.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with what your saying. :hammert
    in that sybex are a good overview for people with experience already because they set out clearly what you need to know so that you don't miss anything.They are pleasing to the eye but when I come to troubleshooting questions I'm not at ease with them at all.

I'm commited to this so much, I don't mind going into the guts and seeing what makes it tick.I need that, I've got all bloomin day at the mo to do it.Reading the lovely looking sybex books is quite easy but it's not making me a pro.
    Did I just say that, man I don't think I've ever said that and meant it.I must be getting old.

7. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Gav/Flex

Intresting comment about Sybex - my experance was very much the other way round!

What a wise person who said "we all have our own view of the Planet" is.

8. Richardod

Richardod Bit Poster

Just a quick question lads what material do you get if you take a course with the NITLC and are they any good and is there any other stuff you need to get to suplement it.
    I would have thought for what the NITLC charge there wouldn't be any more to buy.

9. Mark

Mark Bit Poster

NITLC use MS press books for all the Microsoft exams, Sybex for Network + and the big gold bible by Osborne for A+, not sure about CCNA.

They supplement this with workshops throughout the course and you can loan CBT training such as Learnkey for each exam.

HTH

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA+M, MCSE:2000
  10. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The MS Press book that I got from NITLC for the 70-270 exam is no way near enough to get you through the exam. A friend that had just completed his MCSE gave me his book from " Thompson Wave" and that covered everything the MS press book had missed.

IMO the books that NITLC provide you may as well go buy them yourself from amazon or the like and save some £. I'm luck enough to have my employer pay for my training but I was paying for this out of my own pocket I would feel a little cheated.

I would say yes you do need other stuff to supplement and NITLC do have a resource library that you can borrow from that is useful if you can get them.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  11. Japes

Japes Bit Poster

LOL much disagreement.... or is it agreement that we all study differnetly :lol:

I've used various Book publsihers at one time or another, I think the thing that stands out is "Do you like the author".... in many ways its no differnet to reading fiction. Those that like SF may hate Asimov, but others will love to read his works.
    I heard mention of the Black Book series.... Personally love them, especially the TCP/IP and security both by Ian McLean.....

What I would say is that reading books from 2 different authors/Publishers (MS Press and say Sybex/ANOther) will round out the study as others have said, no one book usually has everything covered in a way that you will take it in.

Just my 2p thrown in....

12. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo Byte Poster

I am about to start this 70-270 exam.

I have the Sybex book + Exam Cram. These have both served me well in the past.

Can anyone who has passed the 70-270 tell me if this is sufficient?

Certifications: <<See Below>>