Seen a job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by zxspectrum, Aug 3, 2013.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

So there is a job I am applying for, and although im now 37 it is asking for GCSE certs etc, but only maths and english. When i was at school i was a bit of an idiot, so i didnt really apply myself and got a lot of ungraded etc. So as the job is closing in the next few days, what can i do ??? I would like to be able to say that i didnt get them as i was young and naive but i feel that the other people applying will be saying they have the relevant qualiications etc. I meet all the other requirements of the job criteria, so im struggling with what to do. They do say they will check my certifications etc, but i would of thought having a degree may be counted more in favour etc???

The role is a mix between IT helpdesk, mainly set in a library, helping people ec an leading a team

Thanks for any help

ZX

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Hi,

I don't think it's the GCSE's you have to worry about as these will just be a 'set' target for minimum educational requirements. You have Higher (and possibly further?) education under belt - so it really should be of no consequence.
    You should more concern yourself that it was stipulated at all - it will probably mean that they are aiming the job at a younger audience and expect less 'life-experienced' applicants.
    Tell them the truth about why you didn't achieve your certs at school (I do - I hated it!) but that you have matured and applied yourself later on in life (again, as I did).
    Good luck!

Oh, and one quick thought - it's in a library, so most likely your written and spoken English will be taken note of (eventhough they won't necessarily stipulate this).

It's 'have' not 'of' :

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
    Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  3. zxspectrum

Cheers for the correction Richy, that will teach me for rushing things ha ha. Ill go down that route, and hopefully it will do me the world of good.

Thanks

ZX

4. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

You've also got the two main GCSEs that all people care about at GCSE standard.

5. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

I believe he said that they asked for maths & English, but he doesn't have them...

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Minimum or equivalent level 2 qualification, you've got your BSc so I wouldn't worry :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. zxspectrum

Cheers for the advice guys, i will be honest and up front so there is no comeback. All i need to do now is big myself up, and if i get an interview, not panic, maybe get sedated ha ha

ZX

8. l4ter

l4ter Nibble Poster

honesty best policy, congrats and good luck

Certifications: BSc Computing, A+, N+, MCITP Enterprise
    WIP: MD-100
  9. Mr_Cellophane

Mr_Cellophane Nibble Poster

I worked for a TLA IT outsourcer that no longer exists and they advertised a Desktop Support Engineer, must have a degree and a Client Account Manager, must have "A" levels.
    LOL the lowly DSE was more qualified than the manager at least 3 levels above him.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDST, MCNE, PRINCE 2 and ITIL
    WIP: MCSE 2003