Seeklearning

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Yosh1, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Yosh1

Yosh1 Bit Poster

I recently registered with 9 different job agencies explaining that I would like a low level IT job on the back of my HNC in Computing, and self study which I will start...anyday now :rolleyes:

I got an email from a company that works with Reed recruitment called Seeklearning.
    A pleasant IT career adviser(salesman) spoke to me for about 30 minutes and thought that I would benefit from working towards a MCSE - the course structure is as follows;

Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Techician (MCDST) - normally priced at £795; plus
    CompTIA A+ - normally priced at £550; plus
    Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) - normally priced at £795

As well as the very highly regarded Microsoft Certified System Engineer (MCSE) certificationtraining normally priced at £1995.

For this month only, we're offering the IT Career Kickstarter Package for just £2,395 (incl. VAT) - that's a saving of over £1,500.

The adviser started quoting salaries for jobs - needless to say the missus' eyes lit up - and we could probably just about afford it if we put in a few extra hours in at work.

I am also told that with 1 hour a day it should last about 18 months, and as you'd expect they offer online help etc.etc..

They guy was a good salesman, but I'm guessing this is a very flawed method of learning..
    For instance the A+ is only about £120 to sit the exam if you do it at your own pace isn't it?

Any advice VERY much appreciated

Certifications: HNC Computing
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

So - let me get this right... they told you that you could pass an MCSE with no industry experience (let alone the two years Microsoft recommends before attempting it) with ONE hours' worth of study per day for 18 months? As well as the CCNA?

Absolute, pure, unadulterated bollocks.

I know my onions and have worked in IT for ten years. I already had considerable experience before I began my MCSE. When I did study for it I took a full year out and studied an average of about 8-10 hours per day. That was for the MCSE alone.

You have zero chance of legitimately passing the MCSE & CCNA using the route that these twerps have given you. They are just after your money - and the salary figures they will have quoted you are absolutely laughable.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Yosh1

Yosh1 Bit Poster

Thank you for not mincing your words, this forum is worth the £2 a month for the honestly!!!
    The guy is calling me back on Tuesday morning - More ammo please :)

4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

How about some ammo for self home learning. Admittedly I too have 10 years IT experience but not in Microsoft related operating systems, networks etc.

I started my home learning this year, alongside working full time 12 hour shifts. Its taken me till now so 3 1/2 months and I've passed 2 exams and have another next week (I have 8 to do for MCSE: Security). Cut a long story short if you are determined enough home study is all you need as you can get some good materials and set up your own virtual lab. I do a block of 5 hours 3-4 times a week randomly depending on my shifts.

And lets not forget this forum! If you get stuck with home study, ask us lot for help. Swerve that training company mate. Spend 5 or 6 hundred on home learning gear like me and do it on your own, then take your missus on holiday instead. Everyones a winner :biggrin

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Gotta say I loved the 'This month only' part. Only one step down from the 'I can only offer you this today' tactic. If you want to test them, put it off for a month then call them back and miraculously see them willing to offer you the same (as a special deal, because we like you so much), or better.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. Yosh1

Yosh1 Bit Poster

So it is an absolute con then?

7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

It most certainly is!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. Yosh1

Yosh1 Bit Poster

Thank you :)

9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I wonder if they are supplying BDs then?

Ask this so called advisor what study materials you get.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. Yosh1

Yosh1 Bit Poster

BDs? What's a BD?

11. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. Yosh1

Yosh1 Bit Poster

Aaaah sweet!
    Thanks Sparky, nice avatar:biggrin

13. Sparky

Cheers mate :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  14. Yosh1

Yosh1 Bit Poster

Thanks very much for the feedback guys.
    One of the reasons I posted is because left to my own devices I won't get off my ass, and need a prod in the right direction this is the wrong direction.
    From the responses I have had, this fast track qualification(albeit 18 months), is not realistically achievable, and even if it was possible I wouldn't learn enough about the other aspects of the subject to make me at all employable or to give me a good rounded understanding.
    I'll tell the guy that I have had some good advice from pro's and I have been advised against(no names mentioned).
    In the meantime I will look to get a lab set up at home and learn properly.
    You can't buy your way into qualifications and experience at the end of the day, good wake up call.

Cheers all

15. Sparky

Sounds good mate. Once you get the lab set up post any questions here, you will probably get a much better response in comparison to the mentioned TP. 8)

16. zardoz

zardoz Bit Poster

Getting a job in IT is tough at the moment but at least you have a proper qualification in your HNC. I would just try and get any job in IT even if its first line helpdesk etc and try and build from there.

I have worked as a developer for 11 years and can only agree with the advice others have given here. Save your money and study for the MCSE at home yourself if you are determined to do it. Buy the books and get as much hands on as you can with what you have at home.
    There are a lot of these training companies ripping people off and telling them its easy to get an 80k job in IT once you have the qualifications they are selling. Doing the exams will be tough without hands-on experience though.

You can buy the study guides for the MS exams on Amazon for 25-30 quid each. That and plenty of practice with the hands on stuff are all you need.

Certifications: MCITP Sql Server 2005 (Developer)
    WIP: MCTS .Net
  17. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

Some days I wish I had my own training provider company. I mean really, the smooth talk of saying look on average people with the MCSE make $70,000 and I can give it to you in under 2 years for only $5,000. That SEEMS like an awesome deal, what they don't say is the people who have the MCSE also have at least 7-10 years experience already BEFORE they get the MCSE, and spent years working on certifications and studying. I could make millions, MILLIONS I SAY! :twisted:

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  18. billythekid

billythekid New Member

I made the mistake of lodging an enquiry with the NZ division of these people, their call centre reps were hounding me for weeks afterwards desperate to sell their courses to me. (I'm not sure where this call centre is but I got some calls at odd times of the day).

18 months later and they seem to have got the message, apart from the occaisional email.

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: MCSA, CCENT
  19. wasted_logic

wasted_logic New Member

Hi one and all, I have read through your posts on here and I must say I'm glad I checked it out as I was going to go ahead with the course.

are you able to steer me in the right direction with where I want to get to as a new starter in IT. For now my goal is to get myself into the network sid of things, setting up installing, maitaining and so on.

I have been seriously intereste in this stuf for many years now and it has always been on the backburner for some reason. It is only now due to serious job dissatisfation and wanting to relocate that I am finally getting my lazy butt in gear.

any help/pointer that you are able to offer me on where to go to get started will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Certifications: none so far, this is my reason for joini
    WIP: CompTIA A+, MCDST, MCSE
  20. piccadilly

piccadilly Byte Poster

Hello,

I joined Seek Learning for MCDST, and so far the online course is good.

Like a few people here have said, you have to manage your own time.

I'm nearly through the course, though I'm repeating it again online as I had a long break.

I recommend them for online, instead of books only, but that's just my opinion.