Seeking work in the USA (12 month migration from the UK)

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by mjtibbs, Jul 22, 2007.

1. mjtibbs

mjtibbs Bit Poster

Hi guys,

I've been searching around but havn't had much luck.

Basically, I would like to work in the US for around a year.

I will be MCSA 2003 certified by the end of the year, however looking at the VISA requirements for the USA, it seems that you cannot obtain a US (Non-Immigrant) work VISA without having an offer for a job prior to arriving.

I find this quite challenging seeing as I have no "industry" IT experience.

I feel that it would be very unlikely for me to arrange a job with such credentials.

Am I being realistic or over pesimistic?

I am yet to actually get in touch with specific companies but my gut feeling is that I may be better off perhaps finding another country to work in.

Has anyone migrated to the US and managed to line up work before arriving?

Any info would be appreaciated.

Thanks.

Certifications: MCSA, OSCP, MCTS Config SharePoint 2007
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You haven't stated where in the world you live, but you have to see it from a companies point of view. Why hire, not only that, and also sponser someone to come over to that country when you don't have real-world experience? I'm not trying to be pesimistic, but realistic.

Finish your MCSA get, yourself some IT experience in your own country before trying to relocate for work. If you're a full time student, you may find this site useful. Remember one thing, "the grass is not always greener on the other side".

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. mjtibbs

mjtibbs Bit Poster

Hi,

Yea, thats kind of the way Im seeing it.

I live in the UK and was hoping to head to Florida, but I think working here once certified will be the best bet to get some good work down on the CV.

I dont really understand the whole sponsorship thing though. Is a sponsorship basically just a temporary contract offered by a foreign company?

Certifications: MCSA, OSCP, MCTS Config SharePoint 2007
  4. Crito

Crito Banned

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Your assessment is correct: it is quite unlikely that a company would sponsor you to come to the US for an entry-level job when there are entry-level people wanting to break into IT right here in the US.

The advice that the others gave is solid. Build up some solid experience there, then apply for jobs here.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!