Security +

Discussion in 'Security+' started by Sandy, Jul 24, 2003.

1. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Has anybody looked at it?

2. Taz69

Taz69 Byte Poster

If the Learnkey tutorials are anything to go by it looks to be a pretty general overview of Security.
    I don't get the impression that it goes into too much depth but then I was only really looking for a good explination of Certificates and just continued previewing it.

Certifications: MCSE: S, MCSA:M, MCSA: S, Net+ & 70-284
    WIP: MCSA 2003 & MCSA:Messaging 2003
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

trip

I was thinking of doing the MCSE:Security option sometime after my W2K03 upgrade .... well I am now in the groove !

5. Taz69

Taz69 Byte Poster

I was torn between going for the 214/220 route or 224/221 route after getting the 218 and then the 217.

Looks like I'll be heading for the second option as I'm trying to get a grasp of Exchange at the min but I must admit that the security exams do interest me. Maybe something for next year :\

Good luck if you go for the Security tag and feel free to keep us all updated :wink:

Certifications: MCSE: S, MCSA:M, MCSA: S, Net+ & 70-284
    WIP: MCSA 2003 & MCSA:Messaging 2003
  6. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

So what's this Security+ thing then.Is it just about general security in computers, or computer networks, or both.

Is it in regard to certain OS's, and does it involve physical security as well system security.

Just stumbled around these here parts, and noticed this here thread, so thought I'd ask.

Ta :!:

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Well, for starters, you might want to check out the Comptia site to get the official requirements. It seems a worthwhile effort in terms of an entry level cert plus it "adds on" to MS certs in the same way as A+, Network+ and Server+.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

For someone who doesnt have anything security related on their CV's (resume) then i think this would be good for showing some knowledge and awareness, but as i've already got a bit of security on the CV i'm not going to go down this road.

I'd recommend it to anyone starting out in IT or who doesnt do much security work and is looking for "way in".

A building block on the way to more advanced certs like cisco and MS??

Just my thoughts!

Matt

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  9. charlesreeves219

charlesreeves219 New Member

The CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner (CASP) certification is a newer CompTIA certification. People are beginning to understand it a little better and it has been getting more respect. As an example, the DoD Department of Defense (DoD) listed it as an approved certification on the same level as the CISSP certification. However, many security professionals question whether it is truly on the same level as the CISSP.
    If you wanted to substitute the CASP for the CISSP, you can pursue it after the SSCP or skip the SSCP and pursue it after the Security+. These posts cover the CASP in more detail:
    Looking over the objectives and the documentation about this exam, it’s clear that this is a at least a step above the CompTIA Security+ exam and it looks like a logical next step for people that have earned their Security+ certification and want to elevate their status.
    Information security is a vital area of concern within the Department of Defense despite recent events and headlines. Also, most companies can ill afford to have their data lost or worse stolen. The threat to modern businesses is one of omission and failing to capitalize on opportunities. The security safeguards are available but are they cost effective?
    The Cloud, which is in fact a very old concept made new, offers companies a way to lessen their overhead by farming out their data storage and application storage costs to a third party. However, that third party now inherits the risks and responsibility of protecting the integrity and confidentiality of that company’s data. The company inherits the risk that the Cloud is not secure and could cost them business and open them up to new vulnerabilities. So, is it better to have a higher overhead and control your data storage, data management and application functionality or better to accept the risks and concentrate on core business functions?
    The main area of concern for the service desk of which I am a part of. The center of my involvement with Information Security falls into the realm of availability. However, I would think the server administrators would be more concerned with the integrity of the data and the network administrators concerned with the confidentiality of the data.
    All three groups equally need to plan for and address risk and risk mitigation for their areas of responsibility. We are trained to provide customer support; continuously improve our processes and provide the most bang for the least amount of bucks but are we then piling on more and more risk to the corporate data? And if the IT staff is made to do more with less over time does that not increase the risks to the corporation?
    If I am certified Security+ and it expires in 3 years, but I work on a Department of Defense contract so I enroll in Continuing Education for 3 years. Now, does that mean I continue with an expired certificate or is the CEU a renewal without retaking the exam? Would I have to be enrolled in the Continuing Education and still re-take the test after 3 years?

Certifications: Cisco CCDA, Comptia Security+, Comptia A+
  10. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

Wow impressive bump of 10 year old thread :D

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??